Friends Don't Last Forever

Hi! My name is Clary, and I'm an imaginary friend for this twelve year old girl named Hazel. Hazel and I go way back, and have been best friends since the day she created me.

Let me explain that real quick.

The human mind is more powerful than most think. It can do things. Cool things. Such as creating a living being! Me myself is living proof! As cool as this is, the human brain can only go so far. Even though I breathe, and I feel emotions, and I have a mind of my own, nobody other than Hazel can see me, and hear me, and that's the same with all "imaginary" friends. That's why they are called imaginary, because even though all people have one of us at some point in their life, others tend to think another person's is fake. It's kinda sad really.

Like I said, Hazel and I go way back.

I played with her when she was bored (Our favorite game was pirates). I comforted her when she was sad (Like that time her hamster, Jeffrey died). And I support her when she plays soccer (She's a goalie, and a very good one too).

But now, she is 12. We don't play as much, but that's fine. We still talk to each other all the time, I still distract her when she's bored in class, and we still read through our favorite books together.

It was a Saturday when I got the feelings things were starting to go wrong.

I just told a joke, and Hazel was giggling. I loved when her eyes light up when she laughs. Hazel's mother, Erica, walked into the room.

We always thought Erica was pretty. She had chocolate colored skin, tight brown curls, and warm brown eyes. She sat next to Hazel, wrapping her arm around her.

"Whatcha laughing at?" She asked, a smile playing on her lips.

It took a moment for Hazel to stop laughing. "A joke. Wanna hear?"

"From who?"

"Clary."

"Clary?" Erica frowned slightly, and I don't know why.

"My friend." Hazel said, also noticing Erica's frown.

"I don't see any friend in here."

Why was Erica being so pushy? Also, it kinda hurt that she didn't know who I was. Hazel has told her about me before! Also, she used to always watch Hazel and I play when we were younger.

"She's my imaginary friend." Hazel said, her smile faltering.

Seeing that her daughter was growing worried Erica rubbed Hazel's shoulder.

"It's alright, honey. I would have just thought you were to old for an imaginary friend."

A pang of hurt hit me. Why would Erica say something like that?

"Clary has always been here, mom!" Hazel said, a tad bit of confusion in her voice.

Warmth spread through me as I was defended by Hazel.

"Why don't you run upstairs and finish that art project you were working on." Erica said, giving Hazel a gentle push.

"Oh, yea! See you later mom!" Hazel said, bouncing to her feet.

We headed upstairs, and I turned and saw Erica watching Hazel with pursed lips. When we reached Hazel's room, I turned to her.

"Why did your mom say that? It... It kinda hurt."

Hazel looked at me in the eyes, and took my hand.

"Don't worry, Clary. You'll always be my best friend."

I smiled, because I knew she was right. We were best friends.

|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|~|

At around 10:00 that night, Hazel was asleep, and I sat reading one of my favorite books, Harry Potter. I didn't need sleep, so I usually did other stuff throughout the night.