Chapter 1

Kageyama gripped his bag tightly as he stared up at the large school he was assigned to. Karasuno. Somehow, this building was impressive yet normal at the same time. Highschoolers flooded the area and everywhere around him chatter filled the air. A gentle breeze caressed his skin and ushered him to go forward, the smell of cherry blossoms around him invited him further and crows stared from the roof down onto him. How ironic, crows in Karasuno.
Kageyama took a deep breath and stepped into the building.

The day proceeded without any events, however, Kageyama didn't bother to pay too much attention in the lessons. He could see the gym from his classroom and the fact he was going to play volleyball in there in the afternoon really fired him up with motivation. How his team would be, Kageyama wondered. Was there a good setter? Were they focused on attack or defense? How many club members?
"Kageyama Tobio! Is there anything more important than my lesson?!" the teacher called him out and Kageyama flinched, sat up straight and shook hastily his head.
"N-no, sensei."
"Good."

As soon as the last bell chimed, Kageyama was gone so fast nobody saw him even moving. He didn't know what it was, what pulled him towards this special place, but he wasn't going to fight against his instincts.
He rushed into the hall and came to a halt as three members of the club stood there, gathered for the greeting. Kageyama swallowed and immediately bowed as a sign of respect while one of them tried to make scary faces at him.
"K-Kageyama Tobio! Setter!"
The other two smiled and the silver haired one whistled admiring, "Wow! You are Kageyama Tobio? I've heard so much about you- Tanaka stop that!"
The brown haired male laughed and, after having smacked the immature Tanaka, went to introduce himself.
"I'm Sawamura Daichi, that is Sugawara Koushi and this moron here is Tanaka Ryuunosuke. I'm the captain."

Kageyama nodded silently and let his first impression sink in. Suga didn't seem too strong, yet his fingers were long and slim and he looked like he was able to read Kageyama himself like an open book- a guess, he was the setter. Ugh. Hopefully, Kageyama wouldn't loose his former place as a regular. Daichi made a strong and broad impression, yet he was too calm. What was he? Wing spiker? Middle blocker? Libero? Definitely not a setter. Tanaka, however, was definitely a wing spiker. This atmosphere, his body language, all of it screamed at Kageyama "I'm gonna crush you until nothing is left". In a way, he was glad. At least those three already promised a good team.

"Kageyama?"
While the three were engulfed in a talk Kageyama noticed the tiny orange haired boy close by. A wonder he hadn't noticed his presence yet, that annoyance was barely overseeable now that he saw him.
"Hm?"
"Great name! I'm Hinata Shouyou! I'm a middleblocker!"
Kageyama wrinkled his nose and turned with a scoff away.
"You? You're too tiny to be a middleblocker. With you we'll loose right away."
Hinata gasped outraged and started to jump up and down, surprisingly reaching Kageyama's shoulders with his feet.
"What?! Say that again!! I can jump!! I'm gonna spike over your head!!"
"So?!" Kageyama barked and got the attention of the other three who stared at him weirdly.
"1 vs 1!! Now!! I'll prove you how much better I am than you!"
"How on earth do you want to play 1 vs 1?!"
Hinata came to a halt and spluttered something about receiving, clearly embarassed he hadn't thought that through the end. Kageyama scoffed again and walked towards the volleyballs to intiate the training he had been waiting for the entire day.

The training was fun, two other first years joined soon enough, Tsukishima Kei and Yamaguchi Tadashi. Tsukishima was a living monster and Kageyama didn't like him on the first comment of "King". Hinata stared confused at Kageyama and tilted his head so adorable it was illegal.
"King...? W-what does he mean? Why are you a King?!"
Kageyama clenched his teeth and his default Kageyama-glare changed into the 'I'm going to murder you' glare, directed at Tsukishima, who seemed to have made it to his personal task to piss his Highness off. While Suga held it for better to refrain from prying further into this obviously sensitive topic, Tanaka had no idea of tactfulness and drilled deeper into the wound.

Kageyama Tobio, selfish and arrogant King of the Court, his Highness who got left by his old team mates.

Tsukishima loved the look on Kageyama's face. The look of defeat, frustration, anger because he was right.
Hinata scrunched up his nose and stepped protectively in front of Kageyama who was mildly surprised by his antics.
"Could you stop picking on him?! Why always him?! Kageyama grew up or not?! He learned from his mistakes!! I'm sure he is a good person and all you're doing is blabbering about King this and King that!! Shut up already Tsukishima!!"
Kageyama blinked twice and narrowed his eyes onto the tiny middle blocker. Since when did he need someone 1,60 to defend him? Tsukishima didn't make the impression he was fazed by the entire tantrum Hinata was throwing this very moment and just rolled his eyes.
"No response huh? Poor King, did a peasant upset you?"
"Tsukishima enough!!" Daichi barked and the blonde retreated with a smirk Kageyama wanted to punch out of his face. Daichi was a good captain and probably someone Kageyama could rely on, however, this he would have to prove in a game.

After most of the club members left, Kageyama politely asked Daichi for the keys to keep on practising and was surprised to find Hinata waiting for him inside the hall.
"You want to set or not?! You can't set without a spiker~!"
"You're not a spiker, you're a dumbass."
Even though he said that, Kageyama appreciated his company and was definitely surprised by Hinata's ability to jump this high, in his eyes the boy was close to flying.
However, his volleyball abilities were horrible.
"You suck!" Kageyama spat and Hinata shot a "Shut up!" right back at him. But the training was worth it all and Kageyama felt satisfied as he locked the gym and made his way home.

A good first day.