Intro

"Like a butterfly entangled in the web of destiny, her battle against immortality had begun."

-

The estate was exactly how he left it.

It had been two years since the passing of Renee's grandfather, yet the grief of losing someone so dear was still stuck in her chest like a thorn. He was Cecil Belmonte, the head of the powerful Belmonte family, who had amassed old wealth and was directly affiliated with the King before the revolution. Currently, the name was nothing but a tie that connected the past to the present.

Now, standing before the French manor, Renee felt even smaller. Had this house always been so big? The last time Renee was here was back in high school; before her fight with Cecil, and before his health deteriorated. A familiar lump grew in her throat but Renee managed to swallow it.

Now isn't the time, Renee reminded herself. Pull yourself together.

With a heavy sigh, Renee collected her thoughts and made her way to the front entrance. 

"Young miss!"

Renee's ears perked at the sound of a familiar voice. She spotted a lanky figure making its way around some shrubbery. Immediately, she smiled.

"Mr. Quinn!" Renee grinned. "It's been a while. How have you been?"

Mr. Quinn is the landscaper of the Belmonte estate and was around since Renee was little. Chocolate brown eyes crinkled under the morning sun as he wiped sweat off his brow.  His hair was now fully gray, flattened by the gardening hat he always wore. The shovel in his hand was caked in dirt but he shook it off as he returned the greeting.

"Oh my, you've grown into a fine young lady. I still remember when you were thiiis small," he motioned to his waist, "clinging onto my leg and begging me to give you piggy-back rides. Time sure flies."

"And you don't look so bad yourself." Renee joked, nudging Mr. Quinn. "So how's it going with Greta? Any progress?"

"Why you, you're still as cheeky as ever." Mr. Quinn's laughter boomed through the garden. "Look at me! I'm going to be 71 this year. An old geezer like me couldn't possibly dream of love."

Renee took in the scent of roses. Cecil had always cherished his rose garden, most likely because it reminded him of his late wife who shared the same name. It seems that even after his death, his garden is still cared for and well maintained. 

"Why are you chit-chatting and not working?" an angry head popped out of a nearby window.

"Greta!" Renee recognized the face.

Greta nearly fell out the window face-first.

"Lady Renee?! Oh dear, you're here already? I was told you would arrive around 11!"

"I couldn't help myself. I missed you guys too much so I hurried here."

Greta leaned out to hug Renee. "My my, you still know how to sweet-talk. I missed you too deary. Why don't you take a seat there? I'll fix a quick snack for you. Did you have breakfast yet?"

Greta's strong hands cupped Renee's shoulders, providing a sense of warm security. She had been with the Belmonte for generations, working as a housekeeper and took care of Renee whenever she visited the manor. Although streaks of gray were showing in her dark hair, her electrifying blue eyes were still as stunning as ever.

"Do I get to eat too?" Mr. Quinn pointed excitedly to himself.

Greta scowled, hands on her hips. The look in her eyes was enough.