How it all started

How was I thrown into traveling alone? I am a country girl from small town Oklahoma who grew up riding horses. The only traveling I ever did growing up was when my parents would drive to Lake Eufaula which was only an hour and a half from Choctaw, OK to spend time on our house boat. Other than that I knew nothing about the United States other than what I had seen on TV or read.

The few trips I took in my late 20s were to Mexico only going to the tourist traps of Cancun, Cozumel, and Playa Del Carmen. Those are the places I would go always taking my kids, someone I was in a relationship with, or a group of people. Making sure to stay at the all-inclusive resorts and never did I travel outside of that, even though my one passion in the world was to travel. I wanted to see it all and experience everything.

One day a close friend I grew up with, Janna Sargent, and I were hanging out when on a whim decided we were going to go to Italy. We picked Milan after looking at different airline prices, it being the shopping capital of the world did not hurt either. Honestly there were no plans outside of that. Never even stopping to book a hotel.

A week before we were set to leave I got a text message from Janna letting me know she's not going to be able to go, she severely broke her ankle a year prior and it was still being problematic. She didn't think she would be able to avoid the pain during all the walking we planned and was worried she would slow me down. Let's just say I was shocked, scared, and  had no idea how I was going to accomplish this alone.

I had never been anywhere by myself, someone was always with me. There were so many "what if's" running through my brain. 

What if i cannot find my way around, because I do not speak any other language besides English?

What if it's a huge place and everything is spread out like Oklahoma City?

 What if I did not pack the right clothes? 

What if the people are rude and not helpful like they say about New York City? 

I am known to be a person that is not scared of anything so what did I do? I packed my carry on suit case along with a backpack and got ready to fly to Italy on my first ever solo trip...nervous as hell.