Prologue

Being the daughter of an active politician in the U.S. can be challenging to say the least.

Y/N Y/L/N was only sixteen when her father was elected into the U.S. senate. A six year long term was hard for Y/N to grasp, seeing as her father couldn't commit to anything for more than a week, which is probably why her mother never married him.

When her mother died, she was moved across the country from Texas to D.C. to live with her then-single, bachelor-lawyer father who had no idea what to do with a 6-year-old kid and had only seen her about five times in her entire life. He worked as a lawyer then and sent his child support on time and a birthday card two days late, but that's about it.

Her dad wasn't all bad though. He learned the "dad" ropes and for ten years, it was just the two of them (and occasionally a random date). As she got older, he even became a role model to her. He fought for the right causes and earned her respect when it came to his morals. She just wished he wasn't so distracted by a pair of pretty eyes and a nice ass, but it was a trade-off she could live with. At least until he decided to marry the devil.

Along with his booming political career came his new wife, Laura. Long blonde hair, sharp blue eyes, 100% fake DDs and an even faker attitude.

Everything changed so fast. It was all so much to take in, but when Y/N felt like acting out, she couldn't risk it.

"Everything you do reflects on your father, especially the bad." Laura always said, her bright blue eyes squinting in Y/N's direction. Then, when Laura and her father had her little brother the next year, it only got worse. She became the black sheep of the family and Laura wasn't afraid to let her know it, behind her father's back of course.

Laura was now her dad's campaign manager and for lack of a better term, his life manager. She was responsible for his image and made sure he stayed out of the drama that comes with being in office. Her vision of a perfect little political family didn't include her husband's illegitimate daughter, though.

Five years, three months, and sixteen days he's been in office and Y/N's hated every day of it. She missed when it was just the two of them and she could be who she was without retribution. She couldn't so much as sneeze without getting a glare from Laura and the rest of her dad's hoard, fearing she'd speak out of turn.

The constant pressure of her father's image made her make choices that she thought would please him, as any child would. She attended all the black tie parties and rallies, being sure to be on her best behavior and present herself with dignity, she went to the same college her father went to and majored in foreign relations, and she dated only fellow politician's sons, to keep the image afloat and manage friendships that her father counted on.

"Everything you do reflects on your father."

Her dorm room at Georgetown University was like her get-out-of-jail-free card. Since she went to college three years ago, she spent so little time at her father's home that she almost forgot what it was like to be a U.S. senator's daughter, but with re-election coming up, she knew she was going to be sucked back into the madness.

"Y/N!" her head perked up from her desk as she was writing notes. She knew it was Jess, her neighbor and best friend since childhood. She stood from the table, her bare feet hitting the cool tile as she slumped over to the door of her single room and placed her eye on the peep hole. Sure enough, there was Jess's light brown hair and glasses, front and center. Y/N chucked as she saw her blue eyes distorted in the skewed lens of the peep hole.

Y/N twisted the lock and retreated back to her desk, allowing Jess to open the door and follow her in.

"I think Dr. Greene is out to get me. This foreign policy paper is kicking my ass," Jess complained as she entered the room, her peppy energy immediately saturating the walls of the small room. She fell back onto Y/N's bed and closed her eyes, letting out a long, exaggerated groan. Y/n was back at her desk, looking her her pre-civil war politics study guide for her exam on Monday. She hummed in response as she went back to reading, making Jess lean up on her elbows and look at her friend.