Skinny Love

A blond boy stood by the door of a hospital room. He intently stared down at the floor, pulling at his shirt and running his hand through his hair.

   The door swiftly flew open, a girl with black hair and a red scarf ran out, tears streaming down her face.

"Mikasa..."

   The blonde said quietly, hoping to get her attention. His attempt failed as Mikasa continued down the hall. The boy slipped into the room; his best friend, Eren Jäger, was laying in the hospital bed, completely pale and so skinny to the point were he looked like a living skeleton.

   His breaths came out short and steady, it seemed as if he were to give up any moment. The blond boy walked swiftly and silently to his friend's bedside, gently taking a single cold, frail hand in his.

   "Armin..?" the brunette croaked out, slowly turning his head to meet the other's gaze.

   "Hey Eren. How are you feeling?" Armin almost whispered. Eren shook his head,

   "Not great..," Armin nodded and looked down at his had intertwined with his dying friend's.

   It would all be over soon, Eren would be gone. Their childhood memories would only belong to him, no one else. The idea made Armin want to cry and scream at the world. Why Eren? Why not someone else? Why did it have to be Eren?

   "Armin?" The blonde came back to reality. "Yeah?" Eren stayed quiet for a couple seconds before speaking. "Do you think I'll make it?" Armin turned his head as tears welled up in his eyes, "I-I don't know Eren..."

   The brunette reached up to Armin's face and turned his head back. "Armin....I....I..." The beeps of various machines started to speed up, "I-I lo-l..." Eren's hand fell back to his side as he struggled for breath. "I love y-you, Armin...!"

   But Armin never heard his friend's last words, for he had run out of the room looking for a nurse. Eren whispered his confession over and over as doctors scrambled around the room, trying to stabilize the boy.

   Within seconds, Armin was back by his side, saying things vigorously, as Eren faded away, he smiled at his friend.

  Then that was it. The brunette's head fell to the side and his eyes closed, machines going crazy, tears fell from Armin's eyes as he was ushered from the room.

   "He had a great life..." Armin said, standing with Mikasa in front of a gravestone. His eyes scanned the words carved into the stone once more; 'Here lays Eren Jäger, a great son and friend of many. 1996-2014'.

"Armin, did he tell you?"

   The blonde turned his head to Mikasa. "Tell me what?" Mikasa sighed before pulling a folded piece of paper out of her sweater pocket.

   "He didn't think he'd get the chance to tell you, so Eren wanted me to give you this." She handed it over to Armin. Carefully unfolding it, the blonde glanced at Mikasa, then at the gravestone in front of him. Be began to promptly read the letter in his hands:

'November 18, 2014

Armin,

You've been my best friend throughout my short life, thank you, I couldn't ask for anyone better. As we grew up together, I realized something. Though I fought myself many times, the thought would never leave my mind. I love you Armin Arlert.

I love you with all my heart and soul. I know all this crap sounds super cheesy, but it's true. I'll love you, and even when death takes me, I'll still love you. I wish I would've told you earlier and been able to have a proper relationship with you, but not everything works out. Thank you.

-Eren'

   Tears fell from Armin's eyes, landing on the paper and smudging the pen. His hands began shaking, his mind was now racing. The blonde dropped to his knees.

"Eren....EREN!"

   The boy screamed out his friend's name time and time again, scaring off the girl next to him. His tear stained cheeks burned as they faced the cold, lifeless stone before him.

"E-Eren.... I'm s-so so-orry." The image of Eren smiling in the hospital bed flashed in Armin's mind. 'Smile Armin, we'll see each other one day.'

A blonde boy stood in front of his friend's grave. He smiled. He smiled like Eren had. Armin left his friend's grave smiling.

He would live out his life,

for both him and Eren.