1

Something big is about to go down

It is the Sunday afternoon before school starts and my mother, my younger brother Ben, and I are walking down the busiest street in Westham. It's been four weeks since we've arrived here and I've done absolutely nothing, have gone nowhere, and have met no one. My brother had decided about an hour ago that if he does not join the town's jujitsu school he will scream. He's actually been pretty cool about the whole moving across the country because our of our dad's job thing. I am also eighty percent convinced my father is cheating on my mother, but we'll get into that later. Anyways, Ben is now talking to some guy who I assume is in charge of this back alley jujitsu place that I did not catch the name of.  There's a mural of these beautiful mountains across from us that I think is beautiful. My mother, however, has pointed out flaws about it that I can't help but not see.

"The dandelion seeds flying across the top makes me feel like I have allergies"

"The cherry blossom branch would only be good decoration for the spring"

And finally, "That ocean reminds me of Old Orchard Beach", which is located in Maine and my mother claims to have almost drowned there on numerous occasions.

"Mom! Can't you just look at something without getting so judgmental about it?" I rebuttal.

"Can I help you? Or are you waiting for some one?"

...and a stupid, useless volunteer has overheard us. Great. Why can't she just leave? Or actually...maybe she can stay. Not stupid at all. Graceful. Reagal, even. A queen in disguise. Crap, I'm hooked.

"I really like that mural over there" My voice is very mature. Must impress Jujitsu Volunteer Girl.

"Yeah, it's great isn't it?" She smiles at me, and my brain goes a little flittery. Jujitsu Volunteer Girl and I have the same taste in murals. How cool is that?

"Oh! Yes, I see. It's beautiful!" My mother smiles and nods thoughtfully. This is probably her hundredth time since we arrived in Westham that she has done the fake smile and nod thng at someone.

"Let me know if you need anything!" Jujitsu Volunteer Girl walks away, much to my disappointment.

About 10 minutes later, Ben finishes up getting situated. As we are walking out, I see Jujitsu Volunteer Girl to the left, the direction I then lead by mom to.

"Oh hey, you guys are Ben's family? He seems to be a ball full of energy, we're excited to have him." She's got a nice smile. And even pretty ears. "Have a nice day!" Did I imagine that, or was she smiling at me? Or maybe she was smiling at me and mom to be polite? No, it was definitely at me. Was it? Ok, I'll stop.

Mom, Ben, and I head home and spend another ridiculously beautiful  day inside.

If you have made it this far I want you to know that that makes me so happy and I love you! I am really excited about this book