Chapter 28 (3/3)

Su Yang lay stiffly on the bed for a long while, pretending to be dead. He refused to look at a certain ruthless, tyrannical, cold-hearted man.

Jing Cheng laughed, “You will not recover if you do not take medicine. Come now, stop sulking like a child.”

Su Yang continued to ignore him.

Jing Cheng heaved a particularly exaggerated sigh. Of course, his acting skills were nowhere near to Su Yang’s level.

But then he said softly, “I will be leaving Jianzhou in two days. I wanted to accompany my stupid little puppy in these last few days. It’s a pity though, that he does not want to see me at all. Never mind then. It was my fault for forcing him.”

Su Yang thought, who’s the stupid little puppy? Wait wait, the main point should be—– leaving Jianzhou?!

He jolted in shock, then asked in a fluster, “Why, why are you leaving?”

A hint of bitterness flickered in Jing Cheng’s eyes. He said, “Isn’t it all because my stupid little puppy was tricked into entering the Palace? In order to retrieve him, I had to agree to join the battle at the South China Sea.”

Su Yang’s heart trembled. This, this was done for his sake……

For him, Jing Cheng actually agreed to this all loss and no gains deal.

Seeing his stunned expression, Jing Cheng smiled and pulled him into his arms, “Silly, I was just pulling your leg. Defending our territory has always been my duty. I have long intended to put an end to the Wōkòu pirates at the South China Sea, all you did was light the fuse.”

{T/N: Wōkòu were pirates who raided the mainland from islands in the Sea of Japan and East China Sea.}

He may have lit the fuse, but it was still a fuse that will cost Jing Cheng all his hard-earned ascendancy.

{T/N: In short, Jing Cheng is comforting Su Yang by saying he did not cause anything to happen that would not have eventually happened, but it does not change the fact that the timing was terrible and puts Jing Cheng at a severe disadvantage.}

Su Yang leaned against his chest, listening to the man’s rhythmic heartbeat. A rare sense of guilt and shame rose in him.

He asked, “Then, then, when will you be back?”

“Heh,” Jing Cheng chuckled. “I have not even left yet, and you’re already planning for my return. Taking all things into consideration, it would probably be half a year. After all, I can’t bear to leave you at home for too long.”

Su Yang fell silent. Half a year, just half a year. By the time Jing Cheng returns, what would the circumstances in Jianzhou city be like.

Would he be joyously celebrated, just like back when he returned from the Northern Desert campaign, with all the officials falling over themselves to congratulate him, and the streets thronging with the common people to welcome him home?

Or rather, would he leave the city as a hero, but return to find himself branded as a filthy traitor, and in the end, be dragged to prison for his accused crimes.