Home

The terminal rang of chatter as the man grabbed his large burlap bag, placed it on his shoulder and stepped off. He stared into the distance in silence as everyone reconciled. Family with their visiting loved ones, friends with new friends and lovers meeting for the first time. His presence bothered no one and subsequently, he bothered no one. Home, he liked to call it. A place he hadn't been in seven years. There were no butterflies in his stomach but he knew his reception would be mixed. He trotted out to the entrance quietly, nobody even noticing his presence.

  ***

Downtown was what you'd expect it to be, lively and full of people, vendors everywhere and people shopping in accordance. The air and the place was different, but what can you expect? He kept his headphones in his ears as he slowly paced the sidewalk, only stopping to reminisce on certain pieces of his past. The man kept a straight face and a stoic demeanor about him, as to notify everyone that he was serious and nobody should bother him. His steps were precise, his breathing calm. He suddenly felt a tap on his shoulder and he turned around to see a little kid peering up at him, a woman in tow. Eyes wide, he took out his headphones and stared. "Hi Kenny." The woman said.

Kenny Flynn was a retired army officer. 31 years old and couldn't have looked any better. He was 6'3 & in the best shape of his life. Toned, black male with bushy eyebrows and a chip in his upper front tooth to boot. He was unmistakable and his sister, Lorraine knew it all too well. "Lorraine." Kenny said with a smile, as he looked down at the kid, not older than probably three years old. She smiled. "It's been a while, didn't expect to see you here." He looked back up at her and felt a bit of relief that he wasn't hounded by any questions, detailing his absence. "I couldn't stay gone forever. Had to return home, eventually." He said with a grin. She nodded and picked up the kid. "Okay, Jamie. Say hi to uncle Kenny." The kid waved and smiled at him and he returned the favor, silently happy to see a kid after what he saw in the army. "What are you doing in town today?" He asked. Lorraine shuffled uncomfortably for a bit and her smile disappeared. "Court." She muttered. She was a beautiful lady, no taller than 5'4. She and Kenny were close knit as they grew up but separated once he got into the adult life. She always had a mature head and demeanor about her for her age and it showed now. 24 years of age and she looked and acted older than he did. So once he saw her uncomfortable, he knew it was something he shouldn't bother with until she was ready to tell him. "So where are you off to?" She said, interrupting his thoughts. He straightened himself up and looked her in the eyes. "Home".

Reception

Kenny stared out the window as his music softly played in his ears, only occasionally bouncing up to remark at certain land points to Lorraine. To this, she'd smile and nod as Jamie would jump up, clap and remark in glee. They were riding around in a black Honda Fit. 'A family car.' Lorraine called it, much to Kenny's dismay. He was never fond of these cars, as they were 'a walking death trap.' But Lorraine loved her car and her apparent life with her beautiful baby girl. "Gah." Jamie said. Lorraine peered in the rearview mirror and smiled. "Now, Jamie?" Jamie sputtered and spat with a giggle, signaling her agreeing. Lorraine giggled and looked at Kenny. "Bottle. Below you, side of the bag." Kenny's song ended in time so he heard the message and looked down at the baby bag, reminiscing on when he planned to buy one with his fiancé. He grabbed the bottle and looked at it. Lorraine looked over. "Well, are you gonna let my baby drink it or did you suddenly get thirsty?" She asked. He snapped out of his thoughts and handed the bottle to Jamie after taking off the cap. Expertly, Jamie handled it well and began to drink from it. Kenny looked at Lorraine. "How old is she?" He asked, to which Lorraine replied "2." He was surprised, taking the kid for at least 3 years old. Jamie handed him the bottle back with a smile and said "tank oo.", to which he replied back with a grin. "You're welcome, baby girl." And he placed the bottle back into the bag. "Smart kid." He said. "Well, she has a smart mom." Lorraine replied with a laugh, slowing down as she pulled up to her destination. He peered over the dashboard and saw a beaten down but well kept brown two story house, his childhood home. He smiled and memories of playing in the large yard and hiding from his parents in the bushes in the backyard rushed back at him. Lorraine stepped out and took Jamie out of the car, placing her on the floor to walk beside her. Kenny unlocked his seatbelt, grabbed his bag and stepped out, gazing at the house in front of him. He opened the gate and two large pitbulls rushed from the back of the house and pounced on him, knocking him to the ground. Lorraine delighted in seeing this, saying "hey, they remember you!" Both dogs slobbered and licked up Kenny's face as he tried to cover it until he gently pushed them off of him. He sat on the lawn and looked at the dogs, their tongues out and tail wagging. "Carly, Jethro. How are you?" He said. They barked in reply. The front door swung open and a voice said "Who's out here, riling up my dogs?" An elderly lady, gently walked down the stairs and stopped on the lawn and stared. Her mouth agape, she pushed her hands onto her kimber and looked in amazement. "Hi mom." Kenny said from the floor.