Chapter 1 - Gone

Chapter 1

My eyes glanced up, meeting his for a split second before I ripped mine away, desperate to hide my smile that was itching to be uncovered. I glanced up again, unable to control myself from the temptation of looking at him. He was beautiful. The way that the sun hit his hair made it look like strands of gold. The summer air swished my hair around my face, slightly obstructing the view of the water laying in front of us. The sun was on its way down and the mosquitos were on the hunt. The dock that we were standing on had a fence surrounding it, as to not allow any unsuspecting citizens to jump into the small boggy marshland that bordered the ocean, after assuming it was solid ground. 

My hand trailed the piece of old wood that was textured with age; my fingers tracing around the little love notes left by long gone lovers. I glanced up at him again taking in the beauty of not only this moment but also the beauty that this was happening to me. Adventurously he reached for my hand and yet again my heart did a little backflip. I squeezed his hand. Immediately  he stepped behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist,  resting his hands on my stomach. His hand reached out, and tilted my chin for a kiss. My heart beat loudly and my brain was quickly fried. His melodious voice filled the air; "You should probably be getting home, we wouldn't want to give your dad any ideas about what we've been up to" the cocky smile returns to his face

"Right you are. My father would kill me for being out with you at near night. He would easily force me to be a nun for the rest of my life...", boldly, I spit out, "But what he doesn't see is that I could get into just as much trouble at night as I could during the day." I return his cocky smile enjoying the look of shock on his face. If he can play dirty, then so can I. He leans in for another kiss. I put my hand behind his hand, deepening the kiss as the intensity rises. In a quick second he abruptly stops and pulls back,"Don't get me started... You and I both know that you need to be getting home now". We looked into each others eyes seeing who's will was stronger as our breaths started slowing to a normal pace. "Brie, I would hate to get you in trouble" his eyes softened but I could see he only held fake concern for my safety. We both knew that he didn't give a shit about my safety and it was only because he wanted to smoke weed without my judgement. But every time I let him convince me, "Okay. But please call me when you get home. I worry"

"I know darling" a tentative kiss followed. "Brie, you should be on your way" he says, giving me a little push forward.

 "Okay". A horrible feeling hit my chest as I saw him standing in the sunlight insisting with those eyes of his that I needed to go. The feeling was peculiar, put me on edge, like something was wrong but I just couldn't put my finger on it. The feeling didn't go away either, not even when I turned off the lights and let sleep carry me off to a fitful sleep. I now know that I left my golden boy standing on the edge of the ocean on a dock with the golden light of sunset falling down around him forever. And that his last kiss had belonged to me. It was only after I woke up the following morning when I realized that I should have never left him alone on that dock with the sunset falling down around him because every sun, no matter how bright eventually sets.