Chapter 1: The Wall

"The way to solve for the circumference of the field is to first obtain its diameter…"

My mind tried to listen as the master droned on and on about the geometry lesson. After all, princes should know these things and it was only proper that I should be paying attention. But my mind was somewhere else. It was wandering across the fjord and into the great ocean to where I knew my aunt was desperately waging a battle to defend her realm, her people, and our freedom. How I wish I could be there by her side. Anything was better than to sit and wait in the castle without knowing whether victory or defeat was at hand. But I didn’t have much choice as I am only twelve years old.

"And the answer is… your highness?"

I shook my head and realized the master was expecting an answer. I looked at him with a contrite expression. "I'm sorry Sir, I didn't… I wasn't thinking…"

I expected an immediate reprimand. He was one of my more stern professors. I was quite surprised that he gave me a kind nod instead. "I understand Prince Fredrik. I suppose we can skip geometry for the moment.  I think we all need a break." He started packing up his books and I realized I was being let off early.  I gathered my own things.

I noticed the bags under his eyes and the worried frown on his face.  It was a familiar expression. Everyone in the kingdom wore it lately.

Impulsively, I put a hand on his—the first time I've done so. It felt like the right thing to do.

"We'll be okay," I said. "The Queen will defend us. I know she's alright, just look outside." I pointed to the clear afternoon summer skies without a hint of a cloud. The sun was blazing in its usual heat.   My hint was clear—there was no trace of snow.

"You really think she's fine?" he asked. His worried expression remained.

"If she was calling on her powers we wouldn't have such fine weather.  And I would know." I didn't know what made me say that. It was a complete lie, of course.  I had no clue whether Arendelle would be affected by a change of weather this far if my aunt was indeed using her powers.  I also had no way of knowing whether or not she was alive or dead, much less using her powers at all even with the common connection we have.

Still, my little white lie decreased the worried lines on my professor's face and I considered it worthwhile.

"I'm glad your highness." He squeezed my shoulder almost affectionately.

I thanked him and left the study. I wish someone could reassure me as well as I reassured him.  I walked over to the garden and saw my mother sitting by the flowers, listlessly watching over my younger siblings.  My two sisters were playing tea time.  They alone seemed immune to the melancholy that plagued the kingdom for weeks since the war started. As I watched them in their innocent pouring of tea in little cups I envied their youth that made them unable to understand what was happening in the kingdom to care.

My mother pretended to play along while every so often gently caressing her round belly heavy with my soon to be brother or sister. Five-year-old Andrea waddled over and offered her unborn sibling a cup.  My mother's eyes lit up and a faint smile graced her lips.

I walked on, certain that my sisters can cheer her better than I could. I decided to go outside for a bit of fresh air.

I passed the unusually quiet halls of the castle. It felt odd that I haven't heard anybody whistling a tune for so long.  The singing of servants as they went about their work was something that was normal in our castle.  The absence of such merry tunes added to my melancholy mood.

Outside the gates, the same dreariness affected everyone in town. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to head into the ports. Surely, there must be someone that must have heard news by now—even if it was only fishermen that can assure me the gigantic wall of ice that stood in the middle of the ocean five miles from Arendelle's shoreline is still standing. That wall of ice is the only thing preventing us from sure defeat.