Prologue

She was running, faster and faster. The hounds saliva and barking was right on her heels snapping with their wicked fangs. Blood red eyes dripping with the promise of death.

'focus, focus god damn it! JUST MAKE IT TO THE CASTLE!'

Thoughts ran wild as she ran, her bright red hair flashing with the lull of the moonlight, mask set on her nose as she flew through the brush of brambles and vines

Stumbling her tiny feet clasped in boots damaged the rot underneath, pounding against the forest floor before her golden eyes pierced towards a tall castle gate. She veered off to the right where a craggy rough edge stuck out like a sore thumb.
She pushed herself harder, howls and bloodcurdling growls thumped and echoed behind her, hot on her heels.

She ran and jumped, kick flipping onto the edge and hauling herself up, bloody handprints painted the dark wall. She scampered up and swing a leg to divvy to the other side with a huff.

She groaned in pain and steadily got to her feet to look around the courtyard, her golden eyes hidden yet sharp glancing at everything the castle could offer in the grand court.

A well

Vendors harking and yapping at denizens to buy their wares

A delectable fruit stand, its scents hitting her sensitive nose

And the large flocks of people illuminated by the pale moonlight

"I made it..." her soft voice resounded the air around her and she threw her arms up.
"I'm safe!"