Chapter 29

The march was, without doubt, arduous, tedious, and terribly dull.

In order to ensure that his little puppy would not want for anything during the journey, Jing Cheng really went all out.

A great deal of careful thought went into the arrangement of the snug and cozy interior of the coach, as well as the meticulously prepared snacks and little trinkets to keep him amused. Even the horses hitched to the carriage were specially selected, to ensure a smooth ride.

But how could Su Yang’s free spirit stand to be confined to such a small space? He endured for two days, before tossing around restlessly, itching to stir things up.  

He dropped a few furtive hints to Jing Cheng to express his interest in riding a horse. Of course, Jing Cheng could not say no to that. He immediately lifted Su Yang onto his own horse and spurred it into a gallop, moving ahead of the marching troops.

Under the glory of the setting sun, they made for a beautiful scene as they sped away together. The officers and soldiers of the army were frequently blinded by their heedless PDA. My lord Wángye, how could you betray us this way, did we not agree that we will all be bachelors for life together, how could you get married behind our backs!!

Jing Cheng only left them with a cheerful view of their rapidly receding backs.

It was Su Yang’s first time on a horse, and the experience was a novelty for him. Nestled against Jing Cheng’s chest, he hollered happily, “Faster, go faster!”

It was rare for his little puppy to be this happy. Jing Cheng urged his horse to greater speed, “Red Shadow, jia!”

Jing Cheng’s steed was a ferghana horse which was gifted to him by a Grand Master. At top speed, only a blood red shadow can be seen, hence it was given the name Red Shadow.

{T/N: Ferghana horses, 汗血宝马 (hàn xuè bǎo ) – lit. sweating blood horses. These horses got their unusual Chinese name because when they run, their blood vessels are very clearly defined through their thin, almost-transparent skin. The glands around their shoulders and neck are so strong that when they sweat, they emit a reddish liquid that makes the colour of their fur looks darker and gives the disconcerting appearance of bleeding. They are also called ‘heavenly horses’ and were so coveted, they caused a war.}

With its master spurring it on, the chestnut was like a streak of lightning tearing through the plains. The wind whistled in their ears, the hills and trees blurred together and receded at a terrifying pace. In the blink of an eye, they left the army far behind.

Su Yang’s dark hair was blown into disarray. Heedlessly, he spread his arms wide open, crowing jubilantly.

“It’s–so–fast–!!”

Jing Cheng promptly wrapped an arm around his waist to ensure he would not fall off the horse. Seeing Su Yang’s joy, his lips unconsciously curved into a smile.

However, this happy period did not last long. Su Yang suddenly grabbed hold of his hand, crying urgently, “Stop, stop!”

Jing Cheng hurriedly reined in his horse, and asked, “What’s wrong, are you unwell?”

Su Yang flailed his arms around, slowly trying to dismount. Unfortunately, he began gagging before he could reach the ground. And then….. well, in short, it wasn’t a pretty sight.