Chapter 1: The Unfortunate Fortune

• Dedicated to Desiree Addo

The Fortune of Misery

By secretshanice12

Chapter 1: The Unfortunate Fortune

            As Gerald and Susan walked on the boardwalk, hand in hand, Susan smiled to herself. Today has been the best day of my life, she thought, and smiled to herself. She never imagined she could be as happy as she was at that moment. Gerald had just proposed to her, and they were now engaged to be married! But who could resist such an intriguing character as Gerald, with his sharp chin, vivacious light brown eyes (“It’s like an almost gray kind of brown,” his mother had confirmed this afternoon), his hair a more tree bark color but fairer, making his eyes really glow and stun people. His figure was a perfect size, not too lanky, not too wide. He was perfect, and that was all Susan needed to know. Then, who could also resist her? Those perfect natural curled locks, her golden hair that radiantly shined in the sunlight, her perfect shining green eyes, and her striking figure, not too hippy and not too thin. Overall, they were the perfect couple, meant for each other in every aspect. Today was a day to celebrate, and the only way to celebrate is at the beach, so let us leave them to have their fun!

            When the happy couple, Gerald and Susan, finished most of their celebration, they decided to end it with a fortune. There was an old fortuneteller at the end of the beach, and they believed her as a good fortuneteller. Her fortunes always came true. This statement is not a hyperbole. Once we get to the end of the story, you will see why I say this. Therefore, when the happy couple receives their fortune, you will understand why the title of this story is so tragic. Anyways, while I was talking to you about the old fortuneteller, they were actually travelling to the tent where she works her mysterious magic. Let us travel with them through the tent to the magical world of Engolthlia.

            Now Engolthlia at the time was a very old woman. She happened to be one hundred forty-two years. You could never tell this because she used old wizard magic to maintain her outer self-being. If you have seen the cover of this book, which I know everyone has, then you will know that this story is partially about that woman, also currently known as Engolthlia. Because of the fortune she will give this happy couple, this book gradually becomes tragic, as I have told you before. Let us start the actual entertaining parts instead of me talking all the time. Role-play!

            “Welcome, welcome my dear children,” Engolthlia said, pleased to have victims-I mean customers-who would give her change to eat real food instead of the wizard glop she always received. “Please, have a seat.” Gerald and Susan gladly sat.

“Well, is today not the loveliest day of all days, Ms. Engolthlia?” Gerald asked jovially.

“Why, you are quite right, my dear child!” Engolthlia replied in the same jovial tone. “But of course, the customer is always right!”

“Oh, but you are the one that is always right, for you are all the wiser,” he replied humbly.

“Oh, such a good young man, such a good one,” the old fortuneteller whispered to herself. “My dear,” she said woefully, referring to Susan, “this man here is a keeper! You must keep him close, like a treasure!”

Susan, kind, humble, and gentle in spirit, quietly responded by saying “Yes, madam.”

With the exchange complete, she took out her glass sphere to read the contents in the mist. They watched her with eager and brilliant eyes as they waited for Engolthlia to announce their fortune. Finally, after three minutes, which seemed to Gerald and Susan like three hours, she looked up to them with crazed, tempest eyes and a smile so broad, you would have thought she was a lunatic! “Your fortune has been found.” She said it so slowly that it sounded treacherous.

“Wonderful!” Gerald exclaimed in his jubilant tone. “Whatever is it?” His eyes gleamed so as if it was golden.

“My dear, humble, cherish able son,” Engolthlia started, her face a grave one, with woe in her eyes, and a false (but so very believable) tear rolling down her cheek. “I am so sorry, it really truly fills my aching heart with woe to tell you this, but your fortune states you are to perish in your fifth year of marriage. Please manage to live a content life with you dearest, kindred wife-to-be.” With that said, she opened the tent flap, gesturing for them to leave. The engaged couple took their leave and left the beach with the gravest faces in eternity. The last was the witch, cheering about their misery. “I do such a splendid job!” She repeated in her head with an additional cackle. With that said, let us turn the page and read the next chapter, shall we?