Chapter Twenty-One

Three days has passed ever since the Gathering. Swiftpaw's heart yearned for Stonepaw, still, but she was determined to go to the next Gathering to see him. It'll just take about a little less than a moon, she thought, as her paws rested on wild grass. Beside her, Blizzardtail, Carptooth, Mosspelt, and Chivewhisker, carefully inspected the border between DriftClan and TideClan; the Shiny Shore. 

The border patrol was in charge of watching the Shiny Shore, just in case for any DriftClan trespassers. As Swiftpaw's paws now touched white sand, her eyes narrowed at the large moor that spread out past the beautiful shore. Those rabbit brains better not try to trespass on TideClan territory, she thought bitterly, her tail curling a bit in anger. But Blizzardtail murmured into her ear, "Apprentice, remain calm, and do not show weakness, do you understand me?"

"Yes, Blizzardtail," she replied, looking up at the senior warrior. Although he was much older, older than Chivewhisker, he was pretty outstanding, for his age, at least. He must be one of the oldest toms in TideClan! she thought, before Mosspelt dipped her head low to Swiftpaw's height. The tortoiseshell meowed, "Swiftpaw, what can you smell?" I'm not your apprentice! Swiftpaw held back a grimace at the she-cat. Mosspelt was friends with Lichenface, who Swiftpaw hated. Everyday, she saw the two she-cats together, gossiping. It made Swiftpaw sick. Reluctantly, she lowered her nose to the sand, but instantly, as the wind from the moor blew against her face, her nose picked up the scent of rye and wheat. 

Swiftpaw raised her head, and her shoulders squared, "I smell DriftClan, very close, now," Blizzardtail had trained her before how to properly use her nose. The apprentice already knew how to scent for other cats, but it wasn't easy, either. It was just yesterday when she mastered the ability to scent.

"DriftClan? What do they want?" Carptooth growled, his shoulders squaring and his fangs showing. Chivewhisker's dark tail lashed, "Carptooth, remain calm, so there wouldn't be any trouble." Just as he ordered that, a group of DriftClan cats, that Swiftpaw didn't know, emerged from the tall grass. The leader of the patrol, a smaller, light brown she-cat, with a distinct white chest, came front first. The tall grass bowed to the DriftClan cats, the sole rulers of the plains and the moors, and when the leader stepped unto the white sand, Swiftpaw knew that even the fastest cats cannot obey the sands of the river. 

The apprentice glared at the patrol, consisting of four warriors, and Swiftpaw felt smaller than all of them. We can take them, if we must, Swiftpaw thought, unsheathing her claws to dig into the sand. Blizzardtail protectively stepped in front of his apprentice, and the senior tom's fur bushed out a bit, making him look bigger than before. Chivewhisker's tail kept lashing, but somehow, the senior warrior was able to keep his fur flat, and his head held high. "You all have just trespassed unto TideClan territory. Turn back," Chivewhisker meowed, a slight snarl in his voice.

The leader of the patrol raised her muzzle high, her green eyes narrowing. "This is rightfully DriftClan's shore, Chivewhisker. The Shiny Shore is a part of the moor," she meowed. Mosspelt spat, "If it's part of the moor, then surely, DriftClan cats can maintain the flooding very well, then!" The tortoiseshell's savage remark made a DriftClan warrior snarl, "Shut it, fish face! You guys were just lucky that we didn't annihilate your warriors, last time."

"Actually," Blizzardtail butted in, his voice calm but cold, "We defeated the DriftClan warriors last time, so I don't see what you're trying to prove here. TideClan will easily beat DriftClan." But Swiftpaw noticed how slightly, her mentor's tail flickered uneasily. TideClan will win, if this escalates. Swiftpaw reasurred herself, despite her shivering fur.

The small brown DriftClan she-cat bared her teeth, "But with Redstar's condition?" Her green eyes narrowed, and she spat at the patrol, "I doubt your grief-stricken leader could go against Elmstar himself!"

Swiftpaw's leg muscles flexed, and her eyes widened. Her eyes were resting on the tall grass, and it bowed to more DriftClan cats. She exhaled, before she felt Blizzardtail shield her away from the approaching cats. "Swiftpaw, get help! And don't you dare think you can join the battle!" His blue eyes burned an icy fire, and her fur bristled.

She remembered that look, the look on Carptooth's face when he told Echoflower to run. Swiftpaw's paws felt numb, but involuntarily, she turned around and began to run. Her muscular legs worked her well in the sand, but the distance from the border of DriftClan to the Grand River was very long; twenty-five fox lengths.

"You won't get help, fish bait!" A yowl erupted from behind Swiftpaw. The apprentice felt adrenaline pump through her veins, and she turned around briefly. A tall, golden tabby tom was sprinting over to her, his long legs and his large fangs made Swiftpaw want to screech in fear. He's so big!

She lowered herself down to the white sand, running as fast as her legs could carry her. Swiftpaw was fast, even faster than Blizzardtail, but the calico she-cat could feel the thrump of the tom's large paws catching up to her. Horror flashed in her eyes, and her heart began to beat fast. I can't outrun him! Against a warrior? She nearly forgot to breathe because she was so scared for her own life.

Swiftpaw wasn't too far from the Grand River. If she could at least dive in, she'd be able to swim to the other side and get help. Hearing the screeches of battle made her ears run high with blood, as the wind blew against her. The DriftClan tom was catching up; there was no way he was going to spare her. Think, Swiftpaw, think! Her ears flattened against her head, and she closed her amber eyes.

Her mind swirled as her paws barely touched the sand below. How could she get to the river? The sand slows him down, but there's no large sand hills I can jump over to slow him down. I can't fight... An idea popped into her head, and her eyes narrowed. Her heart was set on it, but her mind had doubts.

She felt a familiar pressence touch her flank. Swiftpaw wanted to see who it was, but it felt unreal at the same time. Focus, Swiftpaw!

The image of Echoflower flashed in her mind; Swiftpaw suddenly halted. Her paws dug slightly into the sand, and her chin lifted up to look at the DriftClan warrior. Her paws were jumpy, with more excitement but fear. Yet, her heart calmed. Swiftpaw stood up straight, and instantly, the fear in her faded.

She did this for Echoflower. Swiftpaw stood just like her mother, on her last stand to protect her kits. Before she was killed by the BoulderClan tom.

Something stirred inside of Swiftpaw, like a new eye opening up in her chest. At that moment, Swiftpaw felt herself slip away, and a new Swiftpaw stepped into her pawsteps. Her amber eyes narrowed, she forced her fur flat, and her hind legs flexed as the shadow of the tom eclipsed her.

For you, Echoflower.

------------------

Oh my god! I'm so sorry for the delay! I've been battling some..erm...bad things, recently. I'm not doing too good, myself, even though I just got off of vacation. My body is no longer in that "Lazy" state right after vacation. But I'm experiencing problems with one of my best friends. Thank you guys for waiting a long time for a new update! I'll try to stay active, but know that they'll be kinda slow.

-Morgan <3