Prequel

Blue eyes opened.

They ached, caked with the evidence of his exhaustion and he groaned, reaching up a hand to rub the pain away

Danny recalled the amount of coffee he had consumed the last three days, and he was surprised he hadn't had a heart attack. He rubbed his face, trying to massage away the soreness around his eyes, but the dark circles that decorated his face with sleep-deprivation wouldn't be that easy to get rid of.

Danny's hand brushed up against some paper, and when his eyes focused a little more, he was able to lift his head off his arm and glance down at the mess he had left his desk in. His computer was left on as if he hadn't even had the energy to turn it off last night, let alone make it back to bed either apparently. Papers were scattered around the expanse of his desk, scribbled notes and messy plot circles triggering the memories of the night before right before he went into a deep coma-like sleep for what appeared to be 14 and a half hours.

He didn't know what possessed him to pull 2 all-nighters and spend the last three days writing this darn story, but he was lucky he had only missed 1 day of school. Today. It was already 2 pm and there was no chance that he was going to make it, or even bother to try when it was already 7th period.

Danny groaned painfully, his head was killing him now that he slept all the caffeine out of his system. He was never going to touch another Mtn. Dew or another triple expresso ever again.

Looking up at his computer, he noticed that he hadn't even bothered to close the window he had been working on. He knew he had his work cut out for him in editing if the amount of little red squiggly lines covering the word document was anything to go by. He must have had one hell of an inspiration to torture himself just to get this damn story done as quickly as possible. He had never heard of an author who had written an entire 43 chapter book in three days, but it was a decent one... or at least he thought so.

It had to be if he was feeling this dead inside over it.

He didn't know where he had gotten so much motivation so suddenly, but the amount of passion and angst that he felt while writing it was more than he could personally handle.

Danny was proud to have finished the book, but the depression that seemed to want to tackle him to the ground and pummel him until he a bruised and sobbing mess came out of nowhere, and the raven didn't know how to deal with it.

He felt broken. Defeated.

Why he would feel like that when he just accomplished something that others could never even dream of accomplishing was beyond him. The feeling, however, though uncalled for and confusing, was very real.

The teenager sighed, wishing he hadn't been such an idiot and slept more. He didn't understand why that book needed to be done in three days but he hoped that whatever kind of motivation he had would give him a break for a while. He didn't need to pull another all-nighter for some kind of sequel any time soon.

Getting up, the raven got a whiff of himself and he grimaced. He hadn't even been bothered to take a shower. He almost smelt as bad as when he came home that day...

Danny's eyes widened, remembering the day that he returned home from wherever he had been kidnapped. He had returned emaciated and smellier than a homeless drug/alcoholic, but all that he remembered before that was darkness, and a numbing cold that had haunted his nightmares even months after escaping. He didn't remember who had taken him, or what they had done to him, but the scars that littered his body remained his only clue.

Shaking the thoughts away, Danny grabbed some clothes from his drawer and a towel. He needed a shower bad, and the thought of standing under some hot water sounded like nothing short of chicken soup for the soul.