The Girl on the Bus

The girl stares at me intently as I walk down the aisle of the bus. She's pretty, in a strange, intriguing way. She is pale, with hair so blonde, it's white. She wears a dingy white hoodie. The only pop of color to her is her red Converse. I swing myself into the empty seat behind her.

My mom almost didn't let me ride the bus today.

"What if it happens again?" She asked me.

"Mom, it's only from our house to the high school. It's like five minutes." I said in reply.

As a junior, it's pretty embarrassing I don't have my license yet. It's not that I haven't tried. I've retaken the test four times. After the fourth time, I gave up. But now I'm thinking of retaking it. I'll admit it: I don't feel comfortable riding the bus anymore after The Accident.

Now I can't see the girl anymore, just her shoes. Now that I have a better look at them, they're not so much red and more brown, like rust. Or blood... A chill comes over me. The bus pulls into the final stop, Lake Fair High School. I never see the girl get off.

. . .

My mom picks me up after school. I felt like the whole town was in a daze today. Following The Accident, we had the school day off as a mourning period. There was even a candle service at our church. But the next day, it was back to the daily grind.

"It wasn't enough time." My mom breaks the silence. I don't reply. I'm lost in my thoughts.

We pull through the car pick-up, which is parallel to the bus pick-up. Hardly anyone is boarding the bus today. There is one girl though. I don't recognize her, but I recognize her shoes. The red Chuck Taylors.

. . .

Like most days after school, I'm on my computer. Unlike most days, I'm doing research.

List of the Things I've Learned:

That rust color is known as "Spilling Blood."

Chuck Taylors don't come in that color.

Neither do any off-brands I can think of.

But that's where it ends. No more records of this girl anywhere. I decide to let it go. No need to stress myself out anymore than I need to.

. . .

By dinner, I've forgotten all about the girl on the bus.

"Lauren, time to eat!" My mom calls to me. Like usual, my mom and I eat in the family room since it's just the two of us. The tv is turned to the news when I get there.

"People are still devastated by the horrible Lake Fair bus accident that took the life of one student and the driver. The memorial service will take place on October 8th," the news reporter reads. Pictures of the victims flash on the screen. My mom reaches for the remote to change it.

"Wait," I stop her. She gives me a look but hands me the remote anyway. I rewind until I find what I'm looking for. Pause. The picture of the girl on the screen looks different, but there's no mistaking it. I recognize her with ease. The girl on the bus.