Chapter 1 | The First Day

Persephone's POV:

Moving sucks. Moving into a new environment that is entirely new, sucks. Especially when your mother forces you to leave the state and leave all your friends behind. I'm never going to make any new friends. Not in this dumpy town. I miss my old friends. I was quickly pulled out of my thoughts when I heard my name being called across the newly furnished home.

"Persephone, I can tell you're bored. Go look around and explore" my mom, Martha called out to me.

Well, there isn't anything else better to do, I thought.

I made my way to my new room and opened up one of the boxes that was previously sealed shut with heavy duty tape. I changed my clothes into something a little more comfortable and made my way out and into the living room, ready to go on a new adventure.

The cloudiness of the sky convinced me that it was going to rain, but it doesn't look like it does very often. It's just gray like everything else that's boring in the world. It reminds me of a similar painting we have In our home of a little boy. Everything looks bleak and unsatisfying. 

I made my way down to a little river, curious as to what I might find. Looking into the water, I saw  what looked like may have been a key of some sort. I slid my hands into the cold water, trying to reach for this key. I scooped it into my hands and gently took it out of the cloudy water, taking a good look at it. It looked rugged. It had definitely been thrown out from a previous owner.

 Looking down at the key once more, I realized we could have some fun with this. Trying to figure out what or who it belonged to. Now, I was eagerly running back to the house so I could show my mom my new discovery. I had no idea what this key could have possibly belonged to and I was desperate to find out. I just needed to know. Now. 

What's the worst that could happen?

  As soon as I got inside I was determined to show my mother immediately. I was stopped when I saw her working on her laptop in the kitchen. I didn't want to bother her. I then ran to my room and flopped onto my mattress that was currently laying on the floor. I took the key out of my pocket and just looked at it. It was so mesmerizing observing such a peculiar looking key. After about ten minutes I began to lose interest from staring at the key. I decided it was probably time I do some unpacking. I dragged my clothing across the floor in the cardboard box it was sitting in over to my closet. I started taking clothes out of the box when I noticed there was a small opening of the drywall exposed out in the open. I wondered why the landlord hadn't fixed that, knowing we would be moving in. 

  I was about to go alert my mother about the inconvenience in my closet, when I saw a little mouse had come out of the hole in the corner. Only It had been deceased for quite some time and been dragged by an army of ants as its half decomposed body hung lifelessly. I immediately cringed in disgust, running out of my room to tell my mom. As I ran, I saw one of our moving boxes in the middle of the living room. My OCD took over as I walked over to it, desperately needing to get it out of my way. After maneuvering it to the side, I saw a little door behind it. I was shocked to say the least. That is definitely NOT  what I was expecting to find in my home. I went back to my room just out of curiosity to see if the key would work in the door. I inserted to key into the lock and turned it slowly. The door opened. My heart started beating faster and faster. 

Was this key meant for me to find?  I pondered.