Part 1. Pilot

The final chords and the final drumbeats started to fade away leaving the voices of the crowd the main sound in the whole building. Those who were invited on stage for the last song stood there, probably still trying to grasp the reality of what happened in their life just a few minutes or even moments ago. Light, almost non-existent clouds of confetti were drifting through the air, landing on the heads of people who knew that they need to get back to reality but so desperately didn't want to do it. Everybody knew it was time to say goodbye. Another city, another crowd, it's not the end of the road for us but it's such a long goodbye for everybody.

I snapped a few last photographs just in case. One of the security guys was slowly guiding people off stage making sure that they didn't trip or something like that. Sometimes it seems impossible, but boy can people do weird stuff now and then. We exchanged looks and I nodded. Feeling that my job was done for the evening I turned away after one last glance and swiftly disappeared behind the stage.

Not so long ago I joined 30 Seconds to Mars on the American leg of the tour as their concert photographer. I suspect that many photographers would prefer their own studio somewhere in the middle of a big city to weeks in different hotel rooms every night. If they were a concert photographer like me, they would probably consider their job awesome if they went on tour with somebody like Bon Jovi or Iron Maiden, the quote-unquote legendary guys. But for me being here and now are the most important things in the world and traveling with Mars was really a heck of an experience that I would never exchange for anything else.

I knew that everybody was tired after the gig, but it never took away from our post-concert mood which was somewhat hyperactive and cheerful in the best way possible. In a state like that you usually get creative or come up with some crazy stuff that you want to do right here right now, and nobody can stop you. Our plane was leaving in the afternoon of the next day and the next concert was two days later which basically meant that we had all night to ourselves and possibly next morning too. I smiled to myself and went down the corridor faster. I reached a room where we kept all the equipment and carefully packed my camera, taking out the memory card which I would need later. I left my laptop in my hotel room so I didn't really need to worry about that, I figured I would work on the photos when I get there. I took my backpack fishing out an old sweatshirt just in case. In about five minutes I was standing by the right side of the stage smiling to myself when I saw a blond head of a guy bending over some cables that I as a photographer wouldn't even dream of understanding. Well, actually I do understand this but... Never mind. Meanwhile, the guy stood up and noticed me.

- Hey Lex! How was the gig? Took some cool photos to put on the website?

- Yup, as always. I'm going to my hotel room to take care of them. Since we have a free evening you better show up there in a minute, I don't like having fun without you.

- But you never have fun without me! - Danny grinned at me like it was his birthday.

- You're right, I never do, - I laughed in response. Except for during the shows or when I actually get to hang out with the band, I thought to myself. - So, meet you there?

- Yes, don't start without me, - we both snickered, and at that I left.

This was going to be a great night.