Not Zoe, But Connor: Part 1

I rest my head against the flag pole in the front of the school as I stare into the distance. I spot a familiar blue car pulling into the parking lot. The door opens and I hold my breath. Connor and Zoe Murphy step out of the vehicle. I sigh as I watch them approach the school.

"Staring at Zoe again I see." Jared pops up behind me, smirking. I freeze, he's startled me once again, making me blush in the process.

"N-no I'm not." I stutter out.

"You're a horrible liar." He rolls his eyes and punches my arm lightly. I sigh, smiling as Connor passes by.

"Awe! When do you think you'll ever get around to actually, I don't know, talking to her?" Jared crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow sassily.

"Ummm, I don't know, maybe never." I laugh, knowing Jared would never guess that it's her brother I like, not her.

"Ugh, you're boring. See ya later." He turns around and leaves me alone, staring at the back of Connor's head. I begin to walk to my first class, English, which I have with the older Murphy child.

I bow my head down as I face the busy hallway. Just keep your head down and you won't have to talk to anyone. Just keep your head down. Just be yourself, that's the most important thing. If Connor loves you, he'll like you for you. But if you're awkward or weird, be a little more talkative and cool, but the most important thing is just be yourself. But don't let your hands get sweaty. I'm at the classroom door. I slowly push it open, I'm the first one to the class. Wait, when did I pass Connor? Where did he go?

I sit down at my desk. What if Connor skips again? I hope he comes. He looks so cute when he's scribbling doodles into his notebook instead of notes. I love the way he sticks his tongue out of his mouth in concentration. I smile to myself thinking about all the cute things Connor does without even knowing it.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Jared enter the classroom. I watch discretely as he walks to his desk and sighs. He looks... lonely. But the look on remains on his face for only a few moments before he spots me and smirks.

"Have you talked to your little crush yet?" he says, laughing.

"I talked to you like, three minutes ago and I'm alone in this classroom with all my stuff on my desk, implying that I've been here for a bit. So what do you think, Gerald?" I smirk at my witty response.

"For the millionth time, my name is Jared not Gerald, MARK."

"Frick you Jared."

"Ooo the innocent Evan Hansen, saying fake swear words." Connor says as he enters the room. I try to hide my face, as it's probably a very deep shade a pink right now, and Jared laughs. That prick.

Connor sits in the corner of the classroom and blocks us out by putting in earbuds and doodling in his notebook. I try to keep from staring, but he's so goddamn adorable.

"Okay class." my teacher has arrived, all the other students following behind him. "Sit down, settle down, Connor if you would please go to your desk." I watch him slowly stand up and move to his desk, one up and two right from mine. He catches my gaze and narrows his eyes at me. I quickly look away, but it's too late, he already knows I was staring.

After class I am approached by Jared.

"Dude why were you staring at Connor almost the whole period?"

"It's complicated okay, would you just leave me alone for once and stay out of my personal life?"

"Wait, are you gay?"

"No, no nonono. It's not what you think."

"Dude you totally have a thing for him."

"Would you just shut up for once?"

"You're not denying it. . ."

"Okay fine, I like him are you happy?"

"And all this time I thought you liked his sister, huh, crazy world." I see Connor coming out of the classroom, and try to hide behind Jared. But Jared just pushes me out into the hall, causing me to crash right into Connor.

"Woah, you all right?"

"Um, y-yeah." Oh my god. My hands are so sweaty right now. "I'm so sorry. I'm so so so sorry. Ugh. I'm so-"

"Sorry, I know. Calm down, it's fine." He smiles at me and my whole body feels like it's on fire.

"Uh, uh, uh" I can't think straight I stand there until I feel a cold hand, Jared's hand, on my neck and suddenly I'm back in the empty classroom with Jared, eye contact still locked with Connor, who's standing just outside the door. He smiles again but this time it's less pure and a little more confused, still adorable. He turns and walks away. My heart falls into my stomach.

"I really thought that would work."

"Why? I have crazy bad social anxiety and I can barely talk to my teacher. Why would that work?"

"I thought it could be like a meet cute in all those chick flick movies. But you went and ruined it."

"Oh, my bad. I'll do better next time you throw me into the arms of the boy I'm head over heels in lo- I have a crush on."

"Good. I'll see you later." Jared turns on his heels and leaves me alone in the classroom, feeling too humiliated to move. I slowly exit the classroom, smiling at Connor as I pass him in the hall. Great, a whole two hours to go until I have another class with him. I wipe my sweaty hands on my jeans as I walk into the hallway, already dreading the rest of the day. Please let it go better than this morning did, I think.

To be continued...