Not Afraid

Bucky couldn't help but pace back and forth across the living room, muttering things under his breath.
"Flowers...They like daisies...Candy? No... they don't have that much of a sweet tooth." His mind was racing, he was so focused and concerned about making the moment just right.
Steve had been in the kitchen, making himself a sandwich, he looked into the living room for a moment before leaning against the doorway, giving Bucky a look. "What?" Bucky sighed, pausing his pacing and looking at Steve, rather annoyed. "Is it about them?" Steve smirked.

"Stop joking around, Steve. You KNOW I have to make it just right." Bucky groaned, going back to pacing back and forth. "James..." Steve started, grabbing his sandwich and walking into the living room to sit. "You're overthinking this! Just tell them!" "I can't, Steve! I have to show them how much I care!" Bucky said, annoyance in his voice as his ran his fingers in his hair. He was so scared an unsure, what if he blew it? What if they just say no? That wouldn't be good...

Soon enough, Bucky was able to set it right. The balcony was lit with beautiful lights, daisies were everywhere, soft 40s jazz played, and Bucky wore a suit he borrowed from Steve. He had just called Y/N and asked them to stop by. He was panicking.
"Bucky, when they get here, just offer to dance with them and drop a couple hints. Then just tell them everything you feel. Easy as that!" Steve explained, trying to cool Bucky's nerves.
"Alright...Just go..." Bucky said to Steve, In which Steve left the area and went downstairs.
After a few minutes, Y/N got there, Bucky took a deep breath and watched them come up the steps.
"Bucky? What's...What's all this?" They asked, their heart speeding up as they saw the beautiful decor and Bucky's fine suit.
"Y/N..." Bucky said softly, offering his hand and Y/N immediately taking it. "Would you please dance with me?" He asked them, his voice was soft and charming, but inside he was still losing his mind.
"James—What's going on?? What is all this?" Their face flushed a little as they started to slow dance, Bucky's hand on their waist and another on their shoulder. "Nothing...I just wanted to show you..." he said quietly, resting his chin on their head.
"Show me what?" Y/N asked him, they were panicking inside, absolutely losing it. Was this the moment?? No...it couldn't be!
"Y/N, you are very special to me..." Bucky stated, keeping his movements slow, he was so eager to just spit it out.
"I-I...What???" Y/N questioned, blushing deeper at his sweet words. They spent a few more minutes dancing, simply enjoying the moment.
But Y/N's mind kept racing, what was happening? Was this really the moment? Where EVERYTHING that Y/N dreamed of was gonna come true? Impossible...No...Absolutely not!
Their insecurities kept blocking any sort of optimism, they weren't enough for Bucky! They didn't deserve his love! Then...what was this about?

"Y/N, Look at me..." Bucky said, lifting their chin to look him in the eyes. "Listen, we've been so close for so long, you and I care for eachother more than ourselves. Even if you don't share my feelings, I just must let you know..." he paused, simply admiring their beautiful face in those sweet minutes. "I have deep and undying feelings for you, I love you, I really really do."
Y/N's eyes teared up, that sweet feeling, their dream had come true. They buried their face into Bucky's chest, softly hiccuping against him.
"Why are you crying? Is everything alright?" Bucky asked them, absolutely oblivious.
"I love you too..." they mumbled, sniffling softly as they stopped dancing. Bucky's eyes widened, looking down at them before lifting them up and spinning them around. "Goodness! I love you, I love you, I love you!" He repeated, absolutely overjoyed.
Y/N was giggling happily, pressing a soft kiss to Bucky's lips. Lord that felt so sweet and tender, they had waited so long just for this and Bucky had too.
As they released the kiss, they gazed into eachother's eyes for a second, smiling at one another.
"Why did it take so long for you to tell me?" Y/N asked.
"I was so scared you wouldn't share my feelings, but I just couldn't wait any longer. I'm not afraid anymore, Y/N...and I'm proud to say that I love you." Bucky smooched their forehead, the two shared a warm hug before deciding to go watch a movie together and just spend some time together.

Together. Finally, they weren't afraid.