Chapter One- Mitsuko

If you had told Mitsuko that she would have to use her powers one day, she would have laughed in your face. In fact, she would have spat in it too. 

Supernatural abilities were practically useless to humanity, nowadays. It is estimated that, like the appendix, early humans used them to survive a harsh environment. Neanderthals used pyrokinesis to keep warm during the Ice Age. Native Americans were able to manipulate herds of bison to come straight to them. Soldiers used their powers as an advantage in combat throughout history, from the Trojan War to the second World War.

However, after indoor heating was created and supermarkets became popular, the use of supernatural abilities declined rapidly. They were considered even more vestigial in 1946, when the use of superpowers was given a new label:

"War Crime"

Obviously, they weren't going to haul you off to jail if you used telekinesis to summon a TV remote or carry a heavy object. However, using telekinesis to snap an enemy soldier's neck... That was punishable by death.

In 1963, an American military officer was arrested for setting a Vietnamese village on fire. Had he done it by hand, perhaps he would have been rewarded. But, unfortunately for him, the deed had been done supernaturally. Instead of a Bronze Star, he was given the electric chair.

This particular story made the headlines of newspapers all across America. When The New York Times and the Chicago Tribune were sick of reporting it, the story made headlines in other countries worldwide: India, Canada, Russia, Greenland, and Japan.

This sent a shockwave of controversy throughout the globe. Many governments used this to their advantage. Fear among the populous decreased the chances of uprisings. Thus, governments were given more power. This one execution, this single death, impacted human history in a drastic way:

It scared people.

People were threatened by their own supernatural abilities and thus frightened of themselves.

But by the time Mitsuko Souma was born, almost everyone had forgotten about this story. Yet, its effects were still present in everyday life. People were still afraid.

When Mituko was five years old, she discovered that she could teleport. You could say that she was a rather prestigious child, given that most children didn't display their first sign of supernatural ability until the age of ten. But it was put to a stop the moment she'd cried, "Mama! Look what I can do!"

Of course, Mitsuko couldn't cover great distances. Whether this was due to a lack of potential or a lack of practice, she wasn't sure. If she had the ability to travel great distances, perhaps she would have used her powers more often. She never was one to obey her authority figures. It would be wonderful to just snap your fingers and find yourself in Cuba or Amsterdam.

Unfortunately, Mitsuko was limited by about 100 meters. Hence, she believed her powers to be useless. And, in normal circumstances, they were.

But now, Mitsuko wasn't being faced with normal circumstances. No, now she was being held hostage against her will on a deserted island somewhere out in the ocean.

Of course, Mitsuko would enjoy this, somewhat. Often, she would fantasize about who she would kill when faced with a situation like this. And, knowing that this act was implemented by the government, Mitsuko knew she was safe from what her cousin called "Legal Bullshit".

In the instructional video, the topic of supernatural capabilities was almost left untouched. The subject was confirmed with only a single sentence. If you weren't listening, you wouldn't have heard it:

"You can use your powers if you'd like."

Now, Mitsuko had an advantage. She could use her powers as a method of offense, as well as a method of defense. Unlike classmates who possessed the ability to make plants grow, or the ability to communicate with squirrels, Mitsuko's powers wouldn't be altogether useless.

So, by the time Kitano had called her name and number, Mitsuko's mind was made up.

She wasn't going to be a loser anymore.

Author's Note: This chapter was very short. I apologize for that. This was more of a prologue than anything. The next chapter will focus more on Kazuo Kiriyama, and I plan on making the third chapter focus on Takago Chigusa. Until then, I shall bid you adieu.