~Lost Innocence~

Author's Note:

This is a work of fanfiction based on the upcoming Nintendo video game, 'Fire Emblem Three Houses'. (Which releases on the 26th of this month!) All characters rightfully belongs to Nintendo.

Anyways, honestly high-key, low-key shipping Edelgard and Dimitri. So in dedication, I made a simple one-shot.

Enjoy!

____________________________________________________

It was just before dawn, when Empress Edelgard awoke from her restless slumber. Edelgard went to her vanity table, pouring a pitcher of water onto a bowl for her to splash water onto her pale face. She cleansed her face, hoping it would calm her down from whatever her spirit wondered off to when she was asleep. The woman grabbed a lilac towel and rubbed her face dry with it. Edelgard sighed as she saw her own reflection, she was so tired and exhausted from all of the violence and war planning. The beautiful woman walked near her balcony doors and swung them open. The night sky was not dark as when Edelgard first went to bed, it was lighter and she knew it was almost morning. The strong empress looked at her city below her, home to all of her people. Edelgard sighed again, for once she wanted a small moment of peace and she thought by looking at her city would provide her comfort but it did not. It reminded her of all responsibilities, all of the things she is yet to protect. Most importantly, all the things she is in control of. It scared her. The worn out empress craved for a moment of silence, something to stop her from thinking about the madness and injustice around her. So, Edelgard closed her eyes, she placed her hands on the balcony and listened to the wind. The moment Edelgard shut her eyes, she saw the color blue. Blue soldiers, the blue flag, blue outfits, blue capes, blue this, blue that. Edelgard could see him, the man behind all of this blue madness.

'Dimitri,' Edelgard solemnly said in her mind. The woman began to imagine Dimitri's entire image; his lion-like hair, his missing eye, his beaten up armor, and his bushy cape that always dragged along the muddy ground. Edelgard started to open her eyes slowly, feeling the cold breeze brush against her cheek. The empress went back into her room, searching for an old gift Dimitri had once given her when they were just teenagers. The thing was, Edelgard wasn't so sure if she still had the gift. Edelgard began to look through her drawers, under her bed, and vanity, finding nothing. The now desperate woman was bothered, how could she not find the gift? Edelgard went into her closet, looking through the expansive room. A dusty, floral box caught Edelgard's eye, she knew the gift must be in there. Edelgard carefully grabbed the box and dusted off the specks that were on top of it. Gently opening the fragile thing, Edelgard was surprised to what she found. Memories and items of nostalgia appeared before her, gifts from her friends. Former friends. Enemies. Purple ribbon she used to wear, a dried up flower, a few drawings, and a heart shaped music box. The heart shaped music box that the younger Dimitri had given her. Edelgard walked to her bed and placed the box on the bed. With the music box now in her hands, Edelgard walked out to her balcony once more.

'It felt like yesterday...'  Edelgard thought to herself as she opened the music box. Inside the music box, it had two figures dancing with one another. The melancholy queen twisted the knob at the bottom of the box and a beautiful song began to play. Edelgard closed her eyes and memories of her past emerged. The empress could recall a party, a royal ball with all nations attending. The reasoning for this celebration was for all leaders to exchange gifts and build friendship with one another. Edelgard could recall Dimitri approaching her and with a beautifully, well wrapped gift. The woman could remember opening the little present only to be amazed by the little trinket. Yes, Edelgard could also remember that Dimitri said that the music box was one of a kind, specially made by his people for her as a token of loyalty and trust. Edelgard was so amazed by the intricate details and talent, she also said to Dimitri she would love to meet the musician and blacksmith who made it. Dimitri smiled and agreed with Edelgard, then slyly asked for a dance in exchange for one day he would introduce Edelgard to the creators of the music box. Young Edelgard agreed and the two young future leaders waltzed around the ballroom.