Chapter 1: Feathered

My eyes finally began to open, cracking the few rays of light into my vision. As I woke from my slumber, sudden agonizing pain kicked in. My legs and arms, throbbing and burning. I look down to my feet. Bruises and lesions decorated my skin from head to toe.

I couldn't remember what had happened. Why was I in this state?

As I slowly was regaining consciousness of my surroundings, I pushed myself off the ground. My eyes wondered where I was. My recollection was failing me though.

There were black feathers covering the floor. Glossy they were, each one as shining as the next. The walls were bare white, stripped of all vividness. No windows or furniture were present either. Nothing except a single door.

I began to lift myself up. However, I noticed my hands were tied. I tried to break free from the bondage, but the abrasions across my wrists burned immensely at my attempt. Thus, with the remaining strength in my battered legs, I lifted my body off the floor.

Finally standing up right, I could truly feel the impact of my injuries. My knees were shaking and my feet were unbalanced. Nevertheless, I aimed for the door.

Each step was a test of how much strength I had left. I could feel fatigue overcoming quickly. But I was determined. I had to get out. Whatever had happened to me, my instincts were begging me to run.

The knob of the door suddenly turned.

My heart began beating in my ear. The fear of not knowing what was going to happen next set me off into panic.

I tried to break the rope around my wrists. Pain was no longer an issue. I began biting my way out. The blisters around my wrists burned as I gnawed at the rope. But it was no use. My efforts were not working. Impulsively, I started banging my tied hands against the floor. Tears started to fall. My flight instincts were failing me. I was petrified.

The door finally opened. I turned around fearful for my life.

A tall, thin woman walked out from the door. Her complexion had no life in her as did her hair. She wore a worn down nightgown, which probably was ravishing when it was new. But now, it looked overused and damaged.

She appeared fragile, weak and ghostly. Nothing about her looked threatening.

I started to calm down a bit but my heartbeat was consistent. I couldn't gauge if she was an ally or enemy. I still was unsure of why I was here in the first place.

She didn't speak nor move. But her gaze was focused on me. I avoided locking eye contact with her. The pressure of her stare was making me uneasy.

"Look at me"

A chill went down my back. I was ironically paralyzed, too scared to follow through with her command.

"Look at me". She spoke in a louder voice this time.

I didn't know what to do. My thoughts were spinning in my head, so were my feelings. I was scared, confused, in pain, and unable to remember anything. I felt powerless.

"LOOK"

Tears started again. What was I supposed to do?

I felt compelled to oblige her. I did as I was told. As I turned to meet her eyes, my eyes were shocked.

She was no longer a pale withered woman. Out from her back, wings blacker than a midnight sky emerged from her. Her eyes were a piercing emerald color. Her fragile figure was no longer. Her stance was vicious as was powerful.