[04] A BAND OF ROOKIE THIEVES

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

【 𝐈𝐍𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒 】

i

v. the pharmacy

"IT'S GREAT YOU'RE HELPING THE NEW KID,  but we also need to think about our own safety. I mean, he's bleeding right now and, you guys know there's an AIDS epidemic happening right now as we speak, right?" 

They were cycling into town, and Eddie was talking a mile a minute.

A few moments after Ben had burst through the bushes, the kids had snapped into action; making a collective decision that they needed to help the injured boy.
Eddie, however, had his concerns.

"My mom's friend from New York City got it, just from touching a dirty pole on the subway, and a drop of AIDS blood got into his system, through a hangnail. A hangnail! And they amputate legs and arms and- but how d'you amputate a waist?"

Verity cast a glance at Stan, who was cycling next to her. "Seriously?" She mouthed, getting a dry smile in return.

"Yep," he replied.

"You guys do know that alleys are known for dirty needles with AIDS right? Right?"

"Eddie, it's okay. We're just stopping in here for a minute, right guys?" Verity asked, leaving her bike propped against the wall.

"Yep." Bill nodded. "Richie, wait here. C'mon guys."

They followed him into the store, but not before Verity saw Richie turn to Ben, saying "Glad I got to meet you before you died."

Of course, Eddie had medical supplies in his bag, but the injuries that Ben had required more serious medical attention. And so, they resolved to go to Keene's pharmacy on main street, an Aladdin's cave of medical paraphernalia.

Bill frowned. "Can we afford all that?" They all looked at the pile of supplies in Eddie's arms, knowing they were screwed.

"This is all we've got," Stan held out a few dollars, lying crumpled and pathetic in the palm of his hand.

"Are you kidding me?" Eddie whined. 

"Wait, you've got an account here don't you?" Bill asked him, eliciting hopeful looks from the others.

"If my mom finds out I bought all this stuff for myself," Eddie lowered his voice. "I'll spend the whole rest of the weekend in the emergency room getting x-rayed."

"Great," Stan threw up his hands in frustration. "What the hell are we supposed to do know?"

"Well.." Verity looked thoughtful. "Okay, I'll pretend to faint or something, then you guys take the shit and go."