Chapter 1: We're Breaking Down

Jason had seen his family break down before. He had seen his mother cry and sob when his father had left them. He had seen his father physically abuse his mother in a fit of rage. He had seen what too much drinking had done, he had seen it all from his family.

But he had never seen as many tears, as much sadness and weariness then he did on the day of Whizzer's funeral.

By God, he had never seen anything like it. 

His father couldn't drag himself from Whizzer's grave. He couldn't stop looking at the words carefully written in beautiful calligraphy, which had always been Whizzer's favorite. And no matter how hard Marvin tried to keep himself from crying, he couldn't stand the pain any longer.

Jason hadn't ever seen his father cry until now. Not once. Marvin broke down and the pain wore itself on his sleeve. The black bags under his eyes, which had been there ever since Jason was little, only grew darker and darker, the longer he looked. Jason could see the hurt in his soul, for it was quite obvious. When he finally pulled himself from the painful words, that cut his soul like a knife, he hugged Charlotte and Cordelia, crying into their arms. Then, he did something he hadn't done in over two years. He hugged Trina. He couldn't even stand to touch her ever since their divorce. But, he hugged her. Whizzer's sickness had brought them closer and his death had brought them to do something they so desperately wanted to avoid. And then Jason saw something he never thought he'd see. He saw his mother crying with his father.

She was crying. She was crying for a man she despised for years. The one who drove her family apart. And she still mourned him. She realized how much she loved and cared for Whizzer. Deep down, she really had cared for him. And the guilt she felt caused her heart to cry out in pain as she cried along with Marvin.

Marvin's head was so foggy and his eyes were so blurry from the tears. Not even Mendel's reassuring words could calm him. He heaved and sobbed until he finally screamed out in pain, collapsing to the floor. Jason was panic-stricken, as Charlotte and Cordelia picked him up and dragged him away, just to get him away from what remained of Whizzer. Tears filled in Jason's eyes. He looked at the chess piece he placed on Whizzer's grave. He remembered the games the two of them played together when he visited his father on the weekends. 

"I'll let you win this time Whizzer."

"Please don't let me win Jason."

"I'll let you win."

That's when Jason couldn't handle it anymore. He felt his knees shake and he fell to the floor. He started to breath so heavily and cry so hard, he could taste blood on his tongue. And it tasted bitter.

Trina knelt down beside him. "Jason, honey, are you okay?" 

"Why did Whizzer have to die?" he mumbled softly.

"What?"

"I said, WHY DID WHIZZER HAVE TO DIE. WHY DOES HE HAVE TO BE GONE? WE WERE ALL SO DAMN HAPPY. BUT GOD HAD TO TAKE HIM. I EVEN PRAYED. I PRAYED HE WOULD GET BETTER. I NEVER EVEN GOT TO SAY BYE TO HIM. AND NOW HE'S GONE."

Trina started to choke up, as she rubbed his back. "You know none of this is your fault, right sweetheart?"

"I know." Jason replied, starting to calm down. "I just-"

Then, a sharp pang pricked his stomach. He felt queasy and sick, wishing none of this were real. He crawled as far as he could from Whizzer's grave and puked his guts out. There was blood mixed in with the disgusting vomit laying close to Whizzer's grave.

"This day has already gone to shit." he thought to himself. "Just my blood and vomit to finish it off. This is how I'll remember this day. Shitty."