A Deadly Game

"We must find that lost mystic key at all costs. Let's get out of this hell hole to our own time", Bhalla ordered.

"No, brother. We must help these hundreds of people who rely only upon us from that evil slave trader", Amara replied, softly but steadily standing up against his elder brother who never liked being crossed.

"This is no time to play the messiah, little brother. Mother will be waiting for both of us", Bhalla curtly said.

"You and our soldiers may go, big brother. I will stay with these people and fight for them", Amarendra firmly declared. "I will play that Puli-Meka game challenge thrown by that slave trader."

"Have you gone mad? It's literal suicide. The man is asking us to play the game with live pawns. If we lose a move, we lose one among ourselves", Bhalla reprimanded.

"Yes, but if we win, he will set these hundreds of slaves free. A true soldier is one who is ready to give up his life for a worthy cause. I am ready to die if it will save these hundreds", Amarendra argued.

"We are with you O Prince", the soldiers rallying behind their younger Prince.

"We are ready for the challenge", Amarendra declared to the evil slave trader.

The game began. Three tigers against fifteen goats. The slave trader's men were representing the tigers and Amarendra, Bhallaladeva and their soldiers were playing the goats. Amarendra was the best when it came to strategies.

He was playing the moves. He staved off for a very long while, protecting his brother, his men and himself. But as the game progressed. Things started going against them. His men started falling one by one. Just before the tigers could harm his brother, Bhalla, Amarendra managed to halt their progress and win the game.

The slave trader freed all the slaves as he had agreed before. All the hundreds of slaves rejoiced and danced in gay abandon. They were all free at last.

"Well done, Amara. You saved me", Bhalla said in a highly relieved and jubilant tone. "Let's celebrate!"

"I would have done the same for anyone", Amara mournfully said. "These soldiers of ours who gave up their lives for people from another time and dimension are the true heroes. They did not have to do what they did for you, me or anyone. They are martyrs in the truest sense of the word. You and the rest celebrate. I wish to stay back and pay homage to the sacrifice of these brave men."

Distant shouts of celebrations and carousing drowned the tears of one lone man who sat before a monument he had erected in memory of a few common soldiers who sacrificed their lives to execute what he believed was right.

He inscribed on the monument, "In memory of the brave martyrs of Mahishmati who sacrificed their lives to give voice to the unheard and have remained but a few pages in time and space."