The Village

I never expected to find solitude and peace in the depths of downtown Toronto-- but when I walked past the chipped and faded street signs of "Church" and "Wellesley", I felt as if I was entering a new world. The air became easier to breathe, my shoulders became lighter.I felt as If I even walked differently.

I enjoyed seeing all the different representations of the pride flag: a sticker on a window, a mural painted on a wall, a flag dangling off a city light post.

There was color everywhere. Interesting people always seemed to walk past me with strange haircuts and  striking shoes. When I smiled at them, they always smiled back. Proud pups trekked down streets with their owners, often leading them into parks with benches and water fountains.

This part of the city felt so alive to me.

I walked towards 519 Church Street and peered through the windows. A Caribbean dance group had met in the lobby and were now chuckling--playfully swatting each other's arms. Behind the desk sat a bright eyed volunteer eager to meet the next occupant of the community center. He wore a grey 'daddy' baseball cap bought from the corner store down the street.

Everyone and everything always seemed so connected when I was in the village.My favorite thing to walk by was the elementary school situated in the busiest part of the enclave. Vines covered the brick walls, and the play ground was filled with colorful basketball nets and swings. If it was the right time of day, I could watch the children frantically run through the yard laughing. They paid no attention to me. They did not ignore me, but they made no cause of my existence.

In the village, I was visible.