Prologue

How long had it been?

A year?

Five years?

Ten?

Twenty?

Nobody knows how long it had been since it started...

...but everyone in Hallownest knows that it's finally over.

The infection is gone,

The Hollow Knight is healed,

And the Radiance is finally vanquished.

However, there is one thing that the young knight, now named Little Ghost by the royal family, missed...

Or rather, one bug...

*

*

In the small town of Dirtmouth, a young bug with a silver cloak and a white nail began to approach a small billboard that was for the town news. She saw a few pieces of scratch paper and an abandoned pen of some kind. Quickly, she picked up the pen, took three fairly good sized pieces of paper, and began to write.

After finishing her little writing segment, she quickly, to avoid suspicion and prying eyes, stuck one copy onto the billboard and kept the other two copies with her. She ran to a nearby postal service and rung the bell at the front desk.

"One moment, please!" A voice from the back called

A few moments later, a young dragonfly came to the desk and looked down at the young child, who had her head down

"Hello. May I help you" He asked cautiously

"May I send something to the palace, please?" The girl asked, her voice light and delicate

The dragonfly raised his wings in surprise.

"Whoa there, kiddo. I'm not sure if I can do that" he said

"Why not?" The child asked

"Three reasons. One: I don't know who you wanna send it to or what you're sending. Two: You can't just send something to the palace. And Three: Those envelopes cost a lot of money" He said

The child suddenly pulled out a large bag of money.

"This should be more than enough" She said in a monotone voice

The dragonfly stared at the bag, greed eminent in his eyes. The girl threw the bag onto the desk and the dragonfly opened it to reveal much more money than first anticipated.

"Alright. Deal. I'll send something to the palace for you. Who's this for?" The dragonfly asked

"I want to send it to the Hollow Knight" She replied

The dragonfly nodded, grabbed a very fancy-looking envelope, and wrote down the address as well as who it was for. He put a stamp on it and handed it to the young girl, who took it without looking up.

"May I have a pen, please?" She asked

The dragonfly nodded and handed her a pen. Quickly, she took out a copy of her poem and wrote something on the back before folding it up and holding it out to the dragonfly.

The dragonfly took the paper, put it into the envelope, and set it with the rest of the mail that was to go to the capital.

With that out of the way, the young girl thanked the dragonfly and left, and all without raising her head. Meanwhile the young child was off to spread the message: First to Dirtmouth, then to Deepnest, then back to Dirtmouth.

*

*

*

In a house near the castle in the city of tears, there was a single bug who was in the kitchen preparing dinner for himself, or at least trying to since he only had one arm.
This was the Hollow Knight himself, known by friends  and family as just Hollow, who had been free from the infection and the Radiance for a few years now thanks to his little brother,  Little Ghost.
He had decided after that to live near the palace, but to not live there as prince. After all the stressful things that happened to him, the queen and the people understood completely.

He was simply fixing dinner for himself when he heard a knock on the door to his house. He quickly took his food off of the stove and went to open the door. When he did, he saw a young dragonfly with a big bag of mail. He pulled out an envelope that was addressed to him.

Hollow simply took the envelope, thanked the dragonfly, and closed the door when the dragonfly left. He was rather perplexed. Almost nobody sent him mail. He knew that only his mother, little Ghost, Hornet, and his friend Wasp sent him letters like this, so maybe it was from one of them? Hollow simply shrugged it off and put the envalope on the table before going to get his food. He couldn't think about this on an empty stomach.

Once he was do eating he opened the envelope and took out the letter.

...What he saw confused him. What he expected to be a letter from a friend or family member wasn't even a letter st all. It was just a small sheet of paper with a small message written on it. The message itself wasn't any ordinary message either...It was a poem.

"Whilst trapped in chains for all his days, the now free Hollow Knight 

There came, behold, a story told. A child of void and light

In mother's grip, her mind may slip, she wanders through the land

To find, no other, but one, her brother, to reach, for his help, her hand."

What was this? 'Child of void and light'? 'Mother's grip'? 'For his help'? For who's help? Which was this really for?

And why had it been sent to him in the first place?

This story is for -inosuke-