Chapter One

I ran towards camp as quickly as I could. My dark, black hair blowing in my face, blocking parts of my vision. "C'mon! Hurry!" I yelled to my comrades. I should probably introduce myself, I'm Diamond, and right now, three Cyclopes are chasing Raelyn, a daughter of Athena, Brook, a daughter of Apollo, Hayden, a son of Hecate, and I, a daughter of Hades. We were all exploring the outside world to find more demigods, and suddenly we got chased by some Cyclopes, now running back to camp. "Hayden! Hurry up!" Raelyn yelled, "Brook, see if you can stall for us, try shooting their eyes. Diamond, try to cover Hayden!" Hayden was about a year older than me, fourteen. I ran backwards, towards both Hayden and the Cyclopes.
Hayden was only twenty feet away from them. I grabbed his wrist, "What were you thinking back there?!" I scowled, "Trying to kill all of them at once! C'mon Hayden, we're almost there!" Hayden let go of my hand and stared at me sadly, but he was smiling. I stopped abruptly and looked at him, "Are you mad?! Hurry!" But he wouldn't listen to me. "Diamond . . ." He smiled at me sadly, "I-I'm sorry. I-I love you." He said Ho louder than a whisper. "H-Hayden?" I managed. He ran towards the Cyclopes, trying to use the Mist, magic that makes people/monsters/demigods/gods/other species see something else. I just stood there, too stunned to move. He managed to kill one, but the other two were advancing on him. I saw arrows flying into their skin, but the Cyclopes seemed undistracted. Brook grabbed my hand, "Diamond . . . We need to go. Now." Brook said sternly.
She dragged me towards the gates of Camp Half Blood, only a few feet away. I made the mistake of looking behind me. I saw Hayden, getting picked up by one of the Cyclopes, and thrown miles upon miles away, screaming. "Hayden!" I started to cry. Brook managed to get us both inside the boarders. I could hear Raelyn in the distance, trying to get campers to attack. I dropped to my knees and hit my fists against the floor. I screamed in emotional pain. The ground around me turned black. I took a few deep breaths. I loved him, he was more than just a friend. He always knew how to make people smile and laugh. And now, he was gone, forever.
I got to my feet, my Stygian iron sword in one hand, and in my other hand, the bracelet he'd given me. I ran towards the Cyclopes, no strategy, no turning back. I raised my sword and stabbed it to the ground, all around me, legions upon legions of skeleton warriors emerged from the ground. With tears in my eyes and a skeleton army behind me, I charged. I managed to kill one but stabbing my sword in both his knees. My skeleton army helped me destroy the other Cyclops. They clawed at its skin, tearing it off until there was no more. It was quite disgusting, but I didn't care. They killed Hayden, so they deserve a very painful death. I turned, realizing I had an audience. The skeletons broke into piles of bones and disappeared into the earth. Chiron stepped forward, standing face to face with me. "I know, I know. Next time stay behind the boarders." I grumbled.
Chiron had once told me that the senses of demigods has gotten stronger. Since the children of the big three already had a strong scent, they were even more dangerous. "You know child," Chiron warned, "It's not safe out there for you." We went inside the boarders. All the camper went back to their day as if nothing happened. My older half brother, Nico Di Angelo looked at me with worry. "I was so worried about you, Diamond." I hugged him. Chiron coughed, "Nico, if you don't mind, I'd like to speak to Diamond. Alone." Nico nodded and looked at me sympathetically, then went to join his boyfriend, Will. Chiron took me inside the big house, probably to have another talk with me about my powers, my father, blah blah blah.
I sat down, put my sword down, and waited for Chiron to speak. "Child, you need to be more careful. You're more powerful than Nico himself. You're the most powerful demigod known, Diamond. If the enemy get you on their side, we, as a camp, are doomed." Chiron chided. "You still haven't told me who the enemy is." I grumbled, "How am I supposed to know how to defeat them if I don't know who it is?" Chiron looked at me in the eye, "How we defeat them. Diamond, you need to learn how to work as a team. You're too independent. You can't fix everything by yourself." That got me thinking about something. "Chiron." I asked, "you said that I have two fatal flaws, giving balance between my strengths and my weaknesses. I know one is the one all Hades children have, grudges. But, what's my other fatal flaw?" Chiron sighed, "That's not your place to be, child. Just-Just go train right now. I need to do some things."
I walked out side, the sun blinding me. I met Raelyn and Brook in the arena. I saw them sparring with each other. "Hey." I said. Raelyn waved, then went back to her signature attack, aim then slide to the side and aim for the side. "I win, again." Raelyn teased. Brook rolled her eyes, "Ha, ha. Very funny." The three of us sat down in comfortable silence, looking around the arena filled with campers. "Diamond," Raelyn said, "What's it like? You know, being a child of the big three?" She always asked me this whenever she got the chance to. She had told me she wished to be a child of the big three. "The thing is, being a child of the big three is awesome, but being a child of Hades, that's different." I told her, "I mean, I guess if you're okay with restrictions, being the center of attention, whether good or bad, then, you'll love it." Raelyn sighed happily, "Yes, seems perfect . . ." She brushed her black hair out of her eyes, "Well, better get to my cabin. We have a new, secret project to work on." "I need to go as well, probably practice archery. I wasn't a good shot back there." Brook added.

At dinner, I sat alone, because Nico sat at Apollo table, for reasons unknown. As soon as Chiron finished his big speech he always gives, we all started chatting away. I didn't eat much, just a piece of garlic bread garlic bread. As soon as Chiron left to do something, the place went crazy. People left their tables, people were breaking things, yelling louder than ever. Sherman Yang, a son of Ares, yelled for attention so loudly, the entire place fell silent. "Thank you." Sherman said, "Anyways, thanks to Diamond, we missed out on fighting a Cyclops! A Cyclops! I mean, Diamond! Seriously? Again? Stop taking down every single monster that attacks us!" All eyes were on me.
I growled, "Watch it, Yang." "And to think," Sherman shouted, "we could've easily defeated them as a team! As a camp! Who do you have, Diamond? The dead?" Everyone laughed. "Hey!" I said, "watch it, Yang. You'll be part of my 'team' if you don't shut your mouth!" Oooooooh! The campers shouted. Sherman didn't look pleased with my comment, "A daughter of Hades verses a son of Ares? Ares is the GOD of war! Hades is what? The god of Hell?" In the crowd I could see Will persuading Nico to not speak up. I also saw Raelyn and Brook, trying not to speak. "He's no good at fighting! The powers you get as a child of Hades don't help in battle! What are you going to do? Grow skeletons? The more you summon, the higher chances of you passing out. So, you have an army, but the leader passes out? What good is that?" Sherman ranted. I stood up, "Look, Yang. I didn't kill those Cyclopes to make you guys mad! I did it to save the Camp is this is how you thank me?!" I started to walk away. At the door, I turned, "Maybe I should fight alongside evil . . ." I muttered loud enough for everyone to hear.