Chapter 1

Tick

Tick

Tick

The clock was ticking. One day. One day to do the seemingly impossible. Two cups sat on the ground, scrambling to get up from the dusty and earthy floor. Two victims...

"C-Cuphead?"

The red cup held the long list, his eyes swimming over to his brother. 

"W-what were you thinking...?" the blue cup got up and winced at his cracked knee from the impact. "What the HECK made you do that?!" Mugman was nearing tears of frustration as he stomped over and yanked his reckless brother up. "You sold our souls! Not just yours, but mine!" He yelled, tears immediately beginning to flow down.

Cuphead sighed, feeling the gravity of the situation as he covered his face, tilting his head just a bit as a tiny bit of liquid dropped down. "I- I don't know, alright?! I don't know!"

The blue cup sighed angrily, and turned on his heel. 

Cuphead uncovered his face, and rushed to tag along for once. "Wait, M-Mugs, come on, it was gold!"

"If 'gold' is all you were thinking about then, well that's great! Because unlike me, you were too busy with wanting to be rich!" the blue cup scoffed. "Every time we go somewhere, you do something stupid! But this?" 

Cuphead let his brother rant. 

"This was the last straw!" the blue cup's gloved hands balled into fists. "I swear, you make me want to let you do whatever you want! But no, I always have to tag along!" He glared at Cuphead. "And do you know why?" he pressed. 

"M-mugs-"

"Because all you know how to do is bring trouble!" Mugs sighed. "Oh no, what's Elder Kettle gonna say?" he freaked a bit, his fists relaxing, only to scrunch up again in worry. "We're just kids! What do we have to do to get these souls? Shoot them down with water guns? Because that's all we even know how to use!"

"Mugs!" the red cup stopped the brother with a rough jab on the shoulder. "It's alright! We'll be fine!" his voice cracked a bit, mixing with his own emotions of worry. "Elder Kettle will know what to do! So stop fretting and let's go!" he began his run, and Mugs sighed, forcing his own body to run with worry as his fuel. 

"You better be right!"

____BEFORE____

"Cup! No, we can't go in there!" the mug tugged on his brother's arm, but the red striped cup did not turn back. 

"Why would Elder Kettle tell us we can't come to this part of the islands? Nothing is over here!"

"The point was that he said it was dangerous!" 

Cuphead sighed. "Mugs, you worry too much. Everything will be fine! Besides, there's literally nothing here. Why can't we just run around?"

The blue mug/cup looked around worriedly. "B-but Elder Kettle said..."

The red cup extended a hand. "Come on, Mugs. Weren't you just complaining that there was nothing to do around the house?"

Mugman nodded slowly. "Yes, but I don't want to go against his rules! We'll get in trouble-"

"We'll get in trouble if he finds out," Cuphead looked proud of himself. "Besides, we're doing something on our own for once. What could be better?"

"Sitting at home reading a book," Mugman muttered lowly. The red cup clapped him on the back. 

"Look, how about this. Ten minutes of looking around. Is that too much to ask?" Cuphead pulled a sad look. "I've been grounded for two weeks, you know. It's nice being outdoors!"