Chapter 1: Miss Me?

Whenever I'm upset or worried, I have found that flying is always the best thing to help relax my mind. This wasn't because I felt I was flying away from my problems, it was nothing like that at all. Instead, it helped me see things differently; all the way up here above the Crystal Empire I could see everything laid out below me. It's what I do to feel organized, rather than re-shelving books on schedule or making lists like Twilight.

It usually works very well, having the feeling of wind between my feathers. Today just wasn't one of those days and now, so shortly after the defeat of the tyrant king and Twilight's ascension, I had found that the pleasant gust had abandoned me and instead of gliding through the crisp northern air I was left flying like any other pegasus, the familiar feeling of being grounded catching up to me even up here.

I don't like that feeling; peace is wonderful but I don't like it when things become too routine...

To stop my stressful thoughts I look over to the Gemheart Mountains, where assorted mines and tranquil dwellings were built. Unlike most Equestrian mountain ranges, the ones here were rarely traveled throughout the ages. Even now, when a train station had been established that connected this beautiful country with Northern Equestria ponies were not likely to frequent this mountains. My Crystalline subjects knew them. To Equestrians, they were mystical. To the yaks, they were a border respected and feared. To the neighboring Trottish, these mountains were as cursed as the reputation of King Sombra. I think even I still felt a little unwelcome from time to time when I flew here; the peaks were just not always so idyllic.

I glided lower now that the winds had left me. Off days like this were...nice...at times even if nothing really happened.

That was the point of these mountains, after all: to keep my nation sheltered from the northern weather. I was about to stifle a sigh when I saw a strange glint over near Mt. Topazora. How strange... what could it be? I doubt it was an ewe since they can't climb that high. The topaz mines were long since abandoned due to hazardous conditions within, so if somepony was there they could be hurt. Perhaps a warning signal of some kind had been made; a crystal pony could be use their magic to create the gleam. I kept my course, gliding even lower. I had better go check this out, since I did not want anypony getting hurt.

It was important to help ponies, this was always something that I believed wholeheartedly and was encouraged to do by neighbors, my family, and especially by Auntie Celestia. A basic lesson learned as a foal, but I'd never forgotten it. I loved ponies and enjoyed helping them just as much. As important as this was, I still had doubts about it being anything 'adventurous'. As I had told Twilight, the Crystal Empire was quite predictable, which was what had been getting to me lately. It felt like I have been...deprived? Yes, deprived of the adventures that others have. Twilight didn't have to be the little junior errand princess to Auntie for years in Canterlot after her ascension. She didn't move away from her town and family into the humdrum that Auntie practically reinforced.

I don't feel envious towards ponies like Twilight for having exciting lives, instead I end up feeling empty knowing that my loved ones are doing important things. Meanwhile I just sit on a throne and wonder if I'm doing the best I can to help others. Auntie taught me many things, but they were political and magical lessons. She didn't teach ponies self-worth, she gave me cheerful smiles and positive vibes like grandmothers give out cookies. I think that it's my own fault for letting those fail sometimes.

It's probably just a crystal sheen or something, I conclude realistically, yet wistfully as my hooves skidded on the rocks. I took only a few steps before I saw what produced the faint light.

My previously Unidentified Shimmering Object was anything but predictable. Or mundane. It was dazzling and exotic. Standing before me was a gigantic crystal rose; it was even taller than me! The beautiful sculpture was not that well concealed by the ledge but it wasn't too obvious either, seeing as I couldn't make it out on my flight. It had a crimson blossom and a gray-green stem.