Prologue

Cecily Herondale hadn't seen her brother for years now. And she couldn't stand it. She couldn't stand how empty her house seemed. 

She crept quietly to her wardrobe and pulled out a bag. She began pulling down clothes and stashing as much as she could into it. Several loose, long sleeved blouses. Her favorite blue, high-waist skirt. A few more high-waist trousers. Socks. Underclothes. She paused, deciding to leave space for other things. 

Will had never been the kindest person. She didn't really blame him. They both looked up to their older sister. He especially enjoyed mimicking her life of adventure. No one spoke about it, but each member of the family blamed themselves for her disappearance. Now with this, it seemed like their family would be eternally doomed to magic....

She turned to her bed and grabbed a blanket. She considered bringing a pillow for a moment. Then she decided she didn't need it. She could always use her bag if she needed to rest. Besides I have money. She thought as she pulled out a bag of coins under her mattress. She'd been saving them up in case of an emergency. Saving her brother counted as an emergency. 

She passed by the mirror and stopped, observing herself. She hoped what she was wearing would be enough for the journey ahead. She was wearing a simple blouse and loose pants.  When she stood, it almost looked like she was wearing a skirt. Over them, a dark blue traveling cloak. She had her favorite pair of leather ankle boots. Her hair was in a regular braid. Everything was practical. Just what she needed. 

Cecily slipped quietly out of her room, closing the door slowly behind her. She crept as soundlessly as she could down the hall. After a few agonizing minutes of tip toeing down the stairs, she sneaked into the kitchen. She opened the pantry, freezing as it creaked loudly. 

Her heart was pounding and she held her breath... waiting...

Fortunately, her parent's snores were undisturbed. She gathered a couple of loaves of bread and several fruits, then grabbed a piece of cheese and cutting a sausage. She carefully closed the pantry and wrapped her food up. After shoving it into her bag, she returned to the hall. 

Of course Will would get involved with a sorceress. He always seemed to enjoy causing trouble. Pulling pranks with his group of friends. Cecily always tried to tag along, but he seemed to aggravate fate the most when she wasn't around. Of course he'd never let me help...

Edging down the hall, she tried to ignore the pictures on the wall. All of her family's fond memories. She already felt guilty for leaving, looking would only make it worse. But it isn't as if I'm leaving forever. I am coming back. And 'Im bring Will back with me too...

Unless I die out there...

Cecily shook that thought out of her head. 

She had always hoped Will would come back. Always expected to see him walking up the their home. Then she'd race down and fling the door open before he could even think to knock. They'd embrace. Their parents would rush in and hold them, crying. He'd tell them all about his adventure...

She finally made it. To the front door. She suddenly hesitated. Was this what she wanted to do? She probably didn't know enough about the world to just go out into it. This is crazy. I don't even have a plan. 

Just as she started turning to go back to her room, a soft gleam caught her eye. It was her father's sword, neglected and covered with a layer of dust. She picked it up. It wore a worn, brown leather sheath. She traced her fingers over the golden design of birds in flight. HeronsShe pulled it out of the old sheath, revealing the strong, iron blade. It was formidable. In it's reflection, she suddenly looked formidable. Holding the blade made her feel sure of herself. For the both of them, this was the chance to restore their family. Clinging on to that sudden confidence, she slipped the sword back into its sheath and opened the door silently. 

No matter what she faced, she would find and save her brother.