Chapter One: The First Task

*Hey guys!*
This is my first ever fanfiction, and since I'm a Durmstrang Girl it had to be Viktor X Hermione! This will probably be a few chapters long, updated every couple of days, hopefully. I know some events are different to that in the Goblet of Fire book/ film, but just go along with it if you can, I try to get the main events right. Also, there WILL be grammatical errors in there, since it's a first draft.  
Enjoy!

 Chapter One

“Blimey,” Ron muttered, peering through his omnioculars to get a better look. “She’s burned worse than Cedric!”

Fleur Delacour had just narrowly escaped being burned alive by a dragon, and after Cedric's burned face, things seemed to be heading speedily on the decline.

Twenty minutes later, Fleur’s wounds were being tended to and the Welsh Green had been swapped with the more menacing looking Chinese Fireball, who paced around the area with her tail curled upwards like a scorpion’s, looking ready for a fight. In the stands, people were exchanging money after bets were won and lost, and the females around Hermione began excitedly chattering about the next contestant, whose name was announced after silence was called to the arena.

“Viktor Krum.”

A hush fell over the crowd once more. Hermione leaned forwards, squinting to the tiny entrance into the arena.

At first there was no sign of him, and then he slowly emerged, not walking with the same nervous haste as the contestants before him had. He wore a beige t-shirt with the Durmstrang emblem printed on it in red, accompanied with a red and black robe which fell just above his dragon hide boots. His steps were uncertain, as was expected, yet he displayed a certain bravery that even Cedric couldn’t muster, a certain something in his walk which seemed to cast a calming spell over the arena - even Ron was unable to talk.

The dragon screeched, suddenly noticing the crowd around her, and overlooked the broad-shouldered Bulgarian striding forwards, wand clutched in hand. The Fireball’s scarlet, smooth scales stretched over a body larger than the Welsh Green’s; her wide snout was fringed with golden spikes and her eyes blazed a shade fiercer than her scales. She tossed her head back and spat a stream of flames towards the stands where Hermione sat. Though she felt the warm air rush towards her, the enchantments cast around beforehand prevented the fire from entering the stands. Nevertheless, Hermione cringed away from the heat.

Viktor advanced towards the dragon’s turned back.

What was he waiting for? It would have been the perfect time to send the dragon to sleep as Fleur did, or perhaps transfigure a rock into a dog to distract her as Cedric had done. Instead, he raised his wand into the air and set off a firework-like display above his head. Spurts of reds, greens and blues rained down around him, and everyone gasped.

The dragon twisted around faster than Hermione had expected the twenty-five foot creature to manage, and with thundering steps she stormed towards the sound, towards Viktor.

“What is he doing?” Hermione gasped, and she snatched the omnioculars out of Ron’s hands to get a better look, ignoring his cries of protest.  

The Bulgarian stepped back a few paces in awe, dwarfed by the beast before him, and before the Chinese Fireball had time to throw her head back for another cry of protest, he aimed his wand at her and shouted a spell. A single beam of orange light flashed towards her face and hit the space between her eyes. One moment she was perfectly still, and the next she was tossing her head from side to side while screeching, wings flapping with such force that it blew Viktor to the ground.

He scrambled back up, laughing in shock as the dragon blindly writhed.

“What’s he done?” Ron shouted over the cheering of the crowd.