𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐘 𝐁𝐎𝐌𝐁.

˚',-∙*·∘ C H E R R Y   B O M B ∙*,·∘'.
STRANGER THINGS.

          —WHEN Carrie Annsley was thirteen, her mother went missing.

          —IT had happened without warning. Their family had gone to sleep and when Carrie had woken up her mother was not in the house, and not in the town. The whole of Hawkins knew she just skipped town, abandoned her daughter and deadbeat husband in search of a life that wasn't such a dead-end as this one. Carrie heard people whispering it sometimes as she passed them with her teased out hair and smudged eyeliner and fingers always touched with chipped black nail polish. A missing mother makes you turn that way, look at what that girl has become. The devil's in her, you know. Look at how she dresses, look how she just stands there, smoking. Look how she's alone. That's what a mother who doesn't love you does to you.

          —BUT Carrie knew her mother hadn't just upped and left Hawkins. Unlike everyone else in this godforsaken town, she had a few braincells, the ones that weren't wasted on alcohol or getting high. Her mother hadn't skipped town, or run off with a new man, or tried to abandon her daughter. No, Carrie knew there was more to her mother's disappearance. There were clues everywhere—clues hinting at whatever had happened to her mother, and Carrie was still looking. She just hadn't found a conclusion yet.

          —SOMETIMES, it was easier to believe there was something deeper going on than accepting your mother had left you behind.

OR

IN WHICH
a girl who never stopped
searching for her missing
mother uncovers something
that should have been left
unknown.