twenty eight

+

+

Ryuu and I walked up side by side toward the proctor of the third round and the other participants. The competitors stood in a line behind him, each clumped together by their respective village. I could spot the leaf ninja like Neji, Shikamaru, and Naruto standing together. The sand shinobi stood with one another too, including that freaky ass redhead from the day before.

The proctor looked different than the last guy, so I couldn't help but wonder who this new person was, and what had happened to the old dude. Maybe he had finally coughed too hard and croaked—but who knows. Certainly not me.

"Hey, Kohana-chan!" Naruto waved in my direction, grinning. "You ready?"

I rolled my eyes as the other participants turned to look in my direction thanks to Naruto's loud ass voice.

"You seem awfully cheerful for someone who's about to get beaten to a pulp in front of their entire village, and Kage." I gave him a smug look, crossing my arms.

"Hey... that's not very nice." He muttered, scowling at me from the corner of his eye.

I moved to stand beside him and gave a small smile, tilting my head to the side. "I was just teasing. I'm sure... I'm sure you'll do great."

I glanced down the line to Neji, the lavender eyes Hyūga totally ignoring my presence alongside Ryuu's. I was honestly surprised he didn't make any pathetic jab about me being a dirty kumonin or a 'tengu'. The silence was better than insults though. But it would be nice to get riled up before the fights. Get my blood really pumping, yanno?

I leaned forward and cupped my hand around my mouth, whispering to him. "Kick his ass, okay? He deserves it."

I pulled away and shot him a smile. Naruto blinked at me, mouth making an 'O' shape, before he nodded his head enthusiastically, blonde hair bouncing around. "You got it, 'ttebayo."

I furrowed my brows, looking down the line again. Only this time, I didn't spot the Takigakure kunoichi anywhere. I didn't see that sound ninja either, which only made things more confusing. I knew two of the sound guys were completely destroyed during the prelims. At least, all but one. Dosu was his name, I think? Not that there was a point in even knowing it. He wasn't here, so something must had gone wrong. Something must have also gone wrong with that Taki ninja too, since she wasn't anywhere to be found.

In fact, I didn't see Sasuke here either.

"Say, where's the chick you're supposed to fight?" Ryuu furrowed his brows and leaned over, looking down the line of shinobi.