Chapter One: Flash Piece

Chapter One

The police cruiser flipped on its lights and I cursed. I hadn't seen the stop sign. It wasn't like I'd been speeding. I was just distracted. And possibly drunk.

I pulled to the curb in front of a cookie cutter home that looked empty for the night, only one lamp glowing from a living room window. I brushed my dark bangs from my eyes and straightened my skirt. I fought the urge to smell my breath. My pulse spiked.

Coming up to the car, the cop demanded proof of insurance and identification. It was too dim to see his face well and I hoped I could keep mine in the shadows. I didn't want him to see the mascara streaks or smeared lipstick I was sure to have.

"Officer, I know I missed the sign, but its pretty dark on the road. I could barely see the stop until I'd already passed by it."

I kept my face turned where he was least likely to smell any alcohol. He didn't respond as he took my information. Sweat pooled between my breasts and a drop trickled down my stomach, but I didn't dare move. A flashlight blinded me for a moment before disappearing back to the cruiser with the stoic officer.

I glanced back to the house, where the red and blue lights illuminated the lawn. A face peered out from behind a curtain, it's features lit in the colors of my growing shame, and I stiffened. I knew her face well.

Dammit, dammit, dammit. Why in the hell did I pull over here? I had forgotten Libby moved to this neighborhood after college. Holy hell, this couldn't get any worse.

The officer was back at my window. "Mrs. Aller, please step out of the car."

"Cecilia." I didn't want to be called by his last name. Ever again. I got out in defeat as I heard someone walking up behind us.

"Is that you, Bucky?"

I recognized Libby's voice even after all these years. I couldn't make myself turn to face her. The officer moved further into the headlights and I realized he was our old high school class President.

"Libby? Get back inside. I don't need you interfering with police business."

"Like hell, Bucky! You know Cee. Why don't you let her go?"

Shocked, I felt Libby move to my side as she took my shaking hand. And she was right. Good old, redneck Bucky was a classmate of ours and had run in the same circles before disappearing into the military after graduation. He still had the stocky build and exaggerated stiff posture. His hair was no longer poufy blonde. He had cut it so short it was almost non-existent.

Bucky shook his head. "Go back home, Libby. She's been drinking. I can't let that go."

"Don't be a prick! Cee was never anything but nice to you. She even drove you home after you puked in her car at prom! Do you want me to tell your mama how you used to get high everyday after school? I see her at Kroger, you know."

Bucky straightened up, his eyes narrowing. "This is none of your-"

"I know lots more than that! Like how you and Megan Sp--"

"Okay, okay! Crap, Libby!"

"Come on, Buck. I can sober her up, take her in the house. She can leave her car here and I'll take her home if she wants."

Bucky's jaw popped before he stormed to the cruiser. I peeked over at Libby and she squeezed my hand. She looked older, but just as beautiful with a tiny nose and big brown eyes.

Bucky came back, shoving my ID and a paper into my hand. He said, "I'm still ticketing you for the stop sign. Get out of here and don't let me see you on the road like this ever again. Next time, I'll toss you in jail, threats or no threats."

He glared at Libby as he climbed back in his car. Once he speed off, his lights no longer adding to the tension, I found myself hugging Libby. I had yet to find my tongue or a normal heart rate.

She said, "It's okay, come on. I'll make you some coffee."

Libby led me up her drive, my hand still in hers. It reminded me of the time we jumped in the lake from that crazy high rock ledge. We'd been twelve years old and it had been the scariest thing we'd ever done.

Managing a whisper, I mumbled, "Thank you."

Libby took me into her home, sat me at her kitchen table, and turned on the coffee pot. I looked at the cat clock on the wall, it's tail swinging at an odd angle. It read ten after ten.

I found my voice rough as I said, "Todd cheated on me. Again. I'm leaving him." She only knew Todd from our wedding five years ago. I'd invited her, but that was the last time we'd seen each other.

Libby sat across from me and sighed. "I had a miscarriage last week."

Libby never married, but that's as much as I knew about her current life. I reached to grab her hand this time. Fear echoed in our gaze, but our hands kept us calm. I had found an anchor in my night.