prologue

"What seems to be the issue with Alema?"

"I don't know, doctor," her mother says. "We can't get her to speak. She hasn't said a word in almost six months now."

The doctor noted down some things on his clipboard. "Has she experienced anything during that time that might've caused PTSD?"

"No, or at least nothing that I'm aware of. Alema, is there something you'd want to tell the doctor?"

Alema looked down but could still feel everyone's gazes piercing through her as they were awaiting an answer. "You can trust the doctor," her father told her. "He just wants to help you."

But Alema simply shook her head no.

"This is the only response we get from her," her mother cried. "She refuses to speak and only shakes her head when she's obliged to answer."

"I suggest you'd leave her alone for now," the doctor said as he noted something down on a paper. "It might just be a severe case of PTSD. I've prescribed these for her." He handed Alema's mother the paper. "If she won't talk, I can't do anything to her. Give her these meds and come back to me after a week on medications. Maybe she's too tensed up to talk right now and she needs meds to relax."

"We really appreciate your help doctor," the parents thanked him.

It could've been PTSD, but Alema knows the medication will do nothing and it certainly wouldn't help her "relax". As long as she's under his control, she'll never be able to speak. She wasn't hallucinating, he was there and he was taunting her every second of her life and no one can save her from him.

She'll never be able to return to her old life again.