The Soldiers in the Canvas Truck

Our feet pounded on the dirt road. Elliot was only a foot or two behind me. We ran as fast as we could down the dark road. I was out of breath, but I pushed myself to keep going.

     Elliot quickly caught up to me. He grabbed me from behind, wrapping his arms around me and flinging us both into the forest.

     The truck stopped in the middle of the road, and several soldiers climbed out of the canvas-covered back. Elliot grabbed my hand, and silently lead us through the forest.

     He stopped as we got to a mud patch. He signalled to me to get down. He covered me in mud before he laid down and did the same. It was cold, and damp, and complaints ran through my head, but I dare not say any of them. Elliot pushed both of us down further, so that everything but our heads were covered in mud.

     The bright lights shone over us. We buried ourselves further into the mud. One of the soldiers said something in a language that I couldn't understand.

     A cough rose in my throat, and I did my best to stifle it. Elliot turned to me, his eyes enough to tell me to try harder.

     The soldiers shone another light in our direction. I froze, and the cough disappeared as fear set in. I silently prayed, hoping the trees and mud were enough to cover me.

     The lights came to a stop in the patch of trees beside us. A soldier with a deeper voice shouted something at the others before a series of gunshots went off. I covered my head with my arms and Elliot threw his arms around me, burying his head in my shoulder.

     The guns stopped. The deep-voiced soldier shouted something again. Several soldiers stepped into the forest, their lights all pointed to the spot they had shot at. One of the soldiers shouted back at the deep-voiced one. Their footsteps got further away, but we still kept our heads down. The doors of the truck opened and slammed shut. The truck drove off, then we waited. We both held our breath. I was too afraid to look up.

     Elliot slowly lifted his head, letting his breath go, "Stay." He whispered in my ear.

     He slowly unwrapped his arms from around me and stood up. He took careful steps towards the road, like he was avoiding a landmine with each step. He checked the road, looking for any sign of movement. He walked back to me, less cautiously.

     "All good?" I asked, my voice quiet and breathing hard.

     Elliot nodded, helping me up. I walked over to the area where the soldiers had been. A deer lay there, bleeding and dead.

     "C'mon, Mal. Don't stare. Let's go." Elliot said, grabbing my arm and pulling on it gently.

     "Wait." I said, pulling my arm away from him.

     "No, Mallory. We're not waiting, we need to keep moving."

     I stepped over the deer, her torso was riddled with bullet holes. I could tell she was still alive as her breath was laboured and pained. I wiped away a tear with my sleeve.

     "Mallory." Elliot called, "Let's go."

     I stepped closer to the deer, "She's in pain, Elliot."

     He sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose, "We can't stay here, Mallory."

     I waited another few seconds, reaching a hand out to pet the deer, "I'm not leaving her alone. I don't want her to die alone." I got onto my knees, laying her head gently on my lap. Her breath slowed down, becoming calmer.

     "Mallory, we do not have time for this." Elliot said, this time more forcefully. He grabbed my arm, holding it a bit tighter.

     I glared at him, freeing my arm, "Hold on."

     Elliot sighed, turning his back to me and staring at the road. The deer looked at me with scared black eyes. They began to cloud over as her breaths came further and further apart.

     Elliot came over and stood beside me, "Can we go now?" He asked.

     I nodded, following him out of the forest. We stood on the road and began walking. I looked up at the night sky. I expected to see stars, but darkness was the only thing I saw.