Warm spring to cold autumn winds.

Panting, running though muddied streets. My feet cut and sore from the loose stones, I can't stop. Clutching to the fish I stole from the shopkeeper. Fleeing from the very same shopkeeper. didn't know how much further I had in me. It was do or die. Spotting a broken wall with a hole just large enough for me to slip into, with one final breath of air dashing with everything I had left. It was fruitless, I felt my arm moving on its own with a force like steel stopping me in my tracks. It was over. I was done for. I thrashed to break free but the grip of his hand was like a prison. I looked towards the new pursuer. His face like fire, towering over me like the cliff of a beach.

"Let me go, you old fart!" I shouted in protest, holding on to my food, using my free hand to take a bite before i know it's taken away forever.

"This will teach you to steal, you Brat!" The angry shopkeeper came raising his hand high, with a knife. I could taste the blood at the back of my throat as the blade shone from the cold sunlight. I close my eyes in anticipation of the final blow to end me. The cold wind blew, I couldn't feel anything. I thought it was over. I opened my eyes to find the new pursuer holding the shopkeepers hand. The sound of the knife falling piercing the ground below my feet.

"He's a boy, there isn't any need to go that far. Children make mistakes." His voice was like a solid rock echoing from the crashing waves. My legs give way and I fall to the ground, being pushed away by the same waves. Helpless I'd lost all the strength. He bent down before me as graceful as the rain and looked into my eyes with eyes like a burning night sky. He took the fish I had stolen from the shopkeeper and handed it back to its owner. The shopkeeper picked up the knife and stormed off in a huff, glad to just be rid of this situation, returning to his shop.

The man rested his free hand on his swords lovely attached to his belt. They were almost spotless. hanging from them was a little bell with a kanji banner attached to the end. The words were messy but lovingly crafted and had been stitched up slightly in places. Frowning and sighing his bamboo hat covering his eyes.

"Stealing is no way to live your life, boy. Better use those talents of yours for something else." He sounded like he had experience telling a child off. With sternness in his voice and a hint of gentleness. He took some pink mochi from his sleeve pocket and placed it gently in my hand, winking at me and patting me on the head. "I'm not gonna tell the officers. I'll Let you off the hook this time, but don't do it again." He stood up using the strength of one leg and turned around walking away. Sandals treading in the streets the sound blocking out the white noise of the street. I ate the mochi in one go. It was soft and sweet. It was the taste of something heavenly to this hell. I knew I couldn't take this chance for granted. I jumped up and followed him without being spotted until he went into the forest. It was dark and I could not see though the black branches, so I waited. I fell asleep and waited for morning. Dawn broke through the forest. It had returned to its brilliant colours. He showed out of the shadows of the forest. Holding bags of rice, four at most. One looked like it was gonna fall out of the stack he was breaking his back over carrying. I rushed over to him and caught the bag as it was starting to fall. The weight send me flying back to the ground.

"You're the boy from before. Thank you, lad. Would you mind carrying it for me while I do business around town? I'll pay you for it." he said with a smile. I nodded excitedly. We walked around the town trading the rice for other goods until the sun went down again. When we got back to the forest entrance, he bent down again and patted my head.

"Thank you lad. What's your name?" He said looking straight at me.

"Ryu. That's what my grandmother called me until she was to ill to keep going." I said looking to the side, it wasn't something I wanted to remember.