twenty nine

+

+

After noticing Shikamaru hadn't been hit by Ryuu's explosive, he was the exact opposite of thrilled. In fact, that was probably the first time I had ever seen Ryuu look annoyed.

He didn't have a bad temper. It took a lot to push him over the edge. I hadn't had the pleasantries of seeing him explode, but from what I had been told by his aunt Masumi, his sisters, and Katsu respectively, when Ryuu got angry, it was the most terrifying thing on the face of the planet.

Masumi didn't have a bad temper. From the little she told me about Ryuu's father, he didn't have a bad temper either. His mother on the other hand...

Let's just put it as planetary devastation.

That was beside the point right now. What I was trying to get at, was today might just be the day I got to see Ryuu Iwasaki blow up. With all his hand crafted explosive tags, I meant that literally too.

The third proctor, who looked like he needed a drink, placed his hand to his head and sighed deeply, closing his eyes. "I didn't even say begin... but go ham... or whatever."

I hadn't caught a lot of the preliminary fights, my dumbass choice of leaving for medical attention hindering my knowledge, but I did manage to catch a whiff of Shikamaru's signature jutsu. Even if I hadn't seen his fight, I would have known about his shadow possession jutsu from the incident at the hospital the day before anyway.

Ryuu knew about the shadow possession technique. He knew if he got caught in it too, it would be game over.

I didn't have to worry about him though. While Katsu often crafted strategies for our squad in the heat of missions, Ryuu and I weren't dimwits. We were capable of thinking for ourselves and assessing our opponents. As hard as that may be to believe for someone who hadn't seen us work together in battle.

Katsu planned everything down to what degree someone's foot needed to be turned at, and the amount of chakra someone would have at said time. It was almost migraine inducing. Personally, I hated strategizing, preferring to think on the fly instead of being confined to plans. Ryuu was somewhere in the middle of Katsu and myself.

Even if I couldn't tell what he was up to, Ryuu must have come up with some sort of plan, as he didn't waste anymore time simply standing around. Shikamaru disappeared into the clump of five or so tree's on the other side of the arena. I couldn't see him, and I didn't think anyone else could either.

Ryuu threw down a smoke bomb (what for, I still had no clue) concealing whatever the hell he was doing from our view. Once the cloud of blue smoke cleared, Ryuu stood in the center with his hands on his hips as if he had never moved. He wasn't smirking or grinning. In fact, he looked pretty damn serious, scoping out the area for anything he might have missed. His eyes drifted along the arena, before he gave a nod in confirmation to himself, and locked his gaze onto the collection of trees.