Let's Do This Again, Sometime

Throw those curtains wide! One day like this a year would see me right...

Suzi Sparrow swung her arm out of bed and groped for her phone on the side table. Her fingers fumbled until they found the button to turn off the song on the radio. With a soft groan, she sat up and leaned against her headboard as she checked her phone.

A message from Ciaran had come in at 6:53am, over an hour ago. Hope you slept well. Looking forward to our date tonight :)

Suzi let out a breathy sigh. She hadn't even met this guy yet, and he was on the 'good morning' texts already. She preferred to just meet someone rather than become pen-pals with them first.

She eventually got up and grabbed her gym bag, giving the bare amount of maintenance to herself.

When she rounded the corner of her local convenience store, she nodded and smiled at the homeless man outside. He gave his usual smile and wave.

Rushing through the gym floor and up the stairs to the yoga room, Suzi cast a glance over the room for Olga, who didn't seem to be there today. It had been Olga who recommended Ciaran - tonight's date. The two of them had gone on a date a while back that Olga swore was the best first date she'd ever had. It actually sounded perfect.

Suzi's day was a packed one. After yoga she went to a local trendy coffee shop, where she had a full day of job hunting on her laptop. Such was the busy life of the unemployed.

"Thanks a latte," the barista said to departing customers. She always made coffee puns.

As Suzi sat down with her overpriced cappuccino and waited for her açai berry bowl, she checked emails and scanned her social media. She decided to reply to Ciaran and told him she was also looking forward to seeing him tonight.

She cast the occasional glance up at the lovely barista lady - who was pretty much the main reason why Suzi liked the place. The woman, Cassandra, was always smiling and her face would light up whenever she saw Suzi. And she had great, creamy skin.

Focusing on her laptop, Suzi read a few articles on Quora. She had only started reading through Quora to learn new things and get different perspectives about random things, after her ex Ashley told her she was too closed to new ideas. And that was what led Suzi to agree to this whole Thirty One Blind Dates thing. While lost in a thread about Harry Potter plot holes, she remembered she was supposed to be looking for work.

When Suzi eventually packed up and headed for the door, she gave Cassandra a goodbye wave, but didn't see the tourist lady turning to her. Their shoulders bumped and Suzi gasped as ice cold coffee spilled all over her lycra top.

There were giggles and lots of looks as Suzi stood there, absolutely horrified, while the tourist lady gave her apologies and the sexy barista made her way over. Suzi ignored them all and could do nothing but run out of the coffee house, mortified. She could never go back there now. She'd always be known as the woman who got iced.

After a long shower back at her place, she headed for her hair appointment. Suzi thought it was about time she did something with her boring blonde hair, and that adding a shade of red would be nice.

The more she thought about it, the more she looked forward to tonight's date. The best first date in history! Olga had declared. And she got around. That had to count for something.

Feeling good about her new hair and how it flowed in the wind, Suzi made another stop back at hers and grabbed her clothes and make-up bag. She would be meeting Ciaran in a bar on the east side, just a few blocks away from Amy's house, so she made plans to get ready for the date at Amy's.