Chapter One

Ludwig had a routine.

In the morning, he’d rise with the sun and prepare for the day. Nothing fancy and rarely did he have anything more than a few slices of bread for breakfast. He’d head out to his post, attend the occasional meeting and then he’d go home at night. Simple, repetitive and empty. His routine was the one blessing he could find in this whole disaster.

Occasionally, in the event he was given a moment of leave, Ludwig would find company in Kiku. Kiku was the last remaining asian nation, him and a handful of his people reaching the wall almost a hundred years, prior. He still refrained from speaking and sensed the mood, but Ludwig found more comfort from his familiar company than anything else, these days. There were other nations present in side the walls of Maria, Rose and Sina. France was likely around somewhere, drinking to His Majesty’s health or likewise situations. Enmities between them from the past were foolish and forgotten, now, but Ludwig still did not exactly consider the former French personification a friend. Hungary was also among the survivors of humanity, encouraging the people to still find love and hope even in the confines of the wall. She promised them purpose and prosperity but all Ludwig ever saw at every birth was titan-fodder. It hurt too much to see the pain in her eyes from all her people’s deaths loosely masked with a cheery smile. Switzerland was also still alive, but he kept to himself. A century of close quarters and not even Elizavet could come close to him like Liechtenstein once had.

On a hill on the East side of Wall Maria, there stood a small cross, stone in nature and decorated with eroding gifts from over the years. The curved font was beginning to weather away, but even if it were gone completely, Ludwig would be able to read it with pristine clarity.  

Here lies the last legacy of the once powerful empire of Rome

Veneziano and Romano Italy - May their memories live on the the hearts of the people.

“I’m sorry to say there still is no pasta, Italy,” he stood over the cross, arms folded and face expressionless. He addressed them as one, as they now lay together as such. The differences in personality seemed insignificant in death, “I was not able to spare a tomato, I’m afraid. Francis and Elizavet send their regards, of course. Kiku has promised to return and visit when he has the chance. I imagine you’ve given the angels quite a run for their money. Do try and behave yourself for once.”

Ludwig had a routine. It was simple and empty and mindless. It was the one blessing in this entire hell which he now lived. It was the last thing he had to hold onto. There was no longer rays of sunshine to poke it’s head into his life - There was only the chain of command and the promise of someday dying to the jaws of a titan.