To Love a Star

Yukari looked around the crowds in the mall. A bunch of people, dressed in colorful clothes, passed by the café and entered the videogame store on her left. A huge crowd walked into the clothing store next to her, but nobody came in the café. Yukari sat in the soft red booth, playing with her spoon. She looked at the empty ice cream cup with a stare so cold that the strawberry splotches would freeze again. Where was he?

"Excuse me, miss! Would you like anything else?" A waitress noticed Yukari had eaten her ice cream and had been staring out of the window ever since. The irritated actress checked her phone: more than half an hour had passed. Soon she would have to go home and prepare for the night shooting...

"Actually, I'll be leaving," said Yukari, hoping she didn't look too grumpy. She picked her purse, paid the bill and stood up.

Suddenly, faster than paparazzi chasing a gossip, a man stormed in the café. Sweat dripped from his face on his covered in mud tracksuit.

"Sorry I'm late!" spoke he heavily, still tired from the running. "Ellie wanted to train more because of the coming match and I lost track of the time..."

Yukari took her boyfriend by hand and dragged him outside. "Well, I have work in an hour and a half, so we have to skip the ice cream and hurry straight home." Her voice sounded colder and more starchy than usual – but if she was angry, she didn't show it in any other way. "Plus, should I be getting jealous of that girl, if you are willing to spend more time with her than with me?" Yukari gave Junpei her signature Pink Argus stare – scary enough to send chills down the spine of evil alien overlords.

"Oh no," said Junpei in an overblown manner, trying to cheer Yukari, "my secret has been busted! How did you know I'm secretly in love with a girl more muscular than Akihiko, more irritable than you and half my age?"

Even the most generous director – a rare event in Yukari's opinion – would call Junpei's faux anguished screams and clearly fake expression 'chewing the scenery'. The actress sighed. Why had she fallen in love with such a kid?

Junpei looked at her with pleading eyes that could give only the ugliest, most disgusting mug a run for its money. Yeah, how exactly had she fallen in love with such a face? Between overblown lamentation, Junpei cried quietly: "B... But, Yuka-tan, you did not say your line!"

Another sigh. At that point Yukari could swear some of the people in the street were looking at them, so she needed to end this. "Junpei Iori," she looked at him with an icy-cold stare, "will you be late ever again?"

Junpei could swear she sounded more irate than the usual for Yuka-tan but decided to keep quiet. He could always ask her later when they were home. With a quick smile, he replied with a question on his own: "Will you say the line – if you do, then I'll try to be on time. I solemnly promise," said he with a hand on his heart.

Yukari smiled. With a voice, full of pretended anger, she looked at Junpei's eyes and heavily said: "Evilness of injustice shall never overcome the goodness of justice." How could someone come up with this line, so cheesy that it straight up oozed it? And how could any director approve it?

Junpei laughed and hugged his girlfriend. It was comfortable, reminding Yukari of all things they shared together. All their happy moments, all their sad struggles...

"And Junpei," she said as they were in front of her flat, with a smile that would fit a devil, "If you ever break your promise, I'm going to melt Laevatein into a necklace and earrings."

Yukari's flat was as prim as always, not even a speck of dust in it. Junpei was not surprised at all – she was so hellbent on her schedule, putting the whole day in her hands. And it was not like he could blame her – if he had to suffer through the stress of stardom – no, unfortunately, the world would never see the great Junpei on the silver screen. While Yukari was taking a shower, Junpei looked through her accursed planner that bound his girlfriend to her work.