The Start

~~~Thank you everyone! I appreciate the 1k views so so so much! To celebrate, plus I'm sad to have finished The Meg book, I'm making a oneshot book for The Meg!~~~

Deep Sea Rescue missions are always extremely risky, but it's my job and I do it damn well. Right now, I'm at the bottom of the Philippine Trench. I enter another wing of the run-down sub with my friend Jonas. He stops a second to talk into his intercom. "D'Angelo, Marks, talk to me." I don't hear much of what they say, since I continue to look around for more people. I do hear a few bits. "Sonar room....nine rescues.....mess." I see another body, and check the pulse. Nothing. Another goner. Jonas moves towards where I am, and we both turn our heads when we hear someone shouting for help. We move cautiously towards the person, and we turn the corner to find a man sitting with his legs out. "Help! Who's there?" I point my flashlight down at his leg where a large cut has formed. "He can't walk." I state the obvious. Jonas takes notice, and lifts the man over his shoulder.

"Damn..." I think in admiration. We start heading quickly to the rescue vehicle. "Marks, D'Angelo, we got one more survivor. We are heading back to the rescue sub." I state clearly into my mic. Suddenly, something hits the ship, causing me and Jonas to momentarily lose balance. "What the hell was that?" Jonas asks into his mic. I wait for them to answer. "It's something outside the ship." Marks says grimly. Whatever it is, slams into the ships again. This time we both fall. Jonas lifts the survivor off the ground once he has regained balance, and leans him against the wall. "You alright, pal?" Jonas asks the man, who nods. I try to stand when the thing hits the ship again, causing a slight cave in and me to fall back down. "Dammit clumsy legs," I think. I lean to my mic. "Something's crushing the ship, get back to the rescue sub now!" I shout with urgency.

"Right behind you, (Y/N)!" D'Angelo shouts. Jonas has lifted the man back over his shoulder, and has a hand out towards me. I grab his hand, and he pulls me up. We rush to the rescue vehicle. When we get to the hatch, the other survivors and Dr. Heller pull him up to safety. I scramble up next, Jonas on my heels. "Marks, D'Angelo, report. You almost here?" Jonas asks. I listen in to the conversation. "Jonas, (Y/N), listen to me! We're trapped!" Marks shouts. "What do you mean trapped?" I practically scream into the mic. "The cave in jammed the hatch!" D'Angelo finishes. "We're coming back." I tell them. The ship shakes again, meaning whatever is still out there. "The sub has been breached, there's water everywhere." I hear they're shouting. Jonas has stopped to look at the people on aboard the rescue sub. "Jonas, we don't have much time." I try to pull him towards the hatch, as I hear them begging to not be left behind. The radar starts beeping, meaning something is about to hit the ship

"No there isn't anytime. We have to close the hatch, and save these men." Jonas says. I look at the radar quickly, and nod. I help him close the hatch. Jonas scrambles to the controls to raise the rescue sub. Dr. Heller stands, trying to gain back the control to go back. I push him back. "You've lost your minds."  He shouts vehemently. "We have to go, Heller, or everyone here dies. Everyone." I shout. Heller gives me a final glare, before heading back to the injured men. I feel the rescue sub shake as the ship explodes. That was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. My friends. I look at Jonas. I know that this is hard for him too. A few tears escape my eyes as Jonas lifts the sub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What happened down there." Heller questions. I sit across from him in some interrogation room. I know they're recording me. I lean forward. "I told you something was down there. We had to save the men who survived. They were my friends too, Heller. Don't tell me how I feel." I glare at him. "You panicked. This job is obviously too much pressure for you. You left our friends down there to die!"  My blood boils in rage. "Even if you don't believe that there was something down there, even though the sonar showed it, the ship exploded. There was no fucking time. Go fuck yourself, Heller. I'm done with this conversation." I don't wait for a response, and leave the room.

It's been a few weeks. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, except Jonas obviously. I've got nobody to turn to.  I see Jonas sitting in the chair outside the door. I head towards him. I notice he's on the phone, arguing with Lori. Not a strong marriage there. "I got to go." Jonas says quickly, before hanging up. He stands, and looks at me. "Heller's being a bitch. Be careful what you do, they're recording." I tell him. He nods. "What are going to do now?" I shrug. "Well, I can't go home. and I just can't stay here.  I'm going somewhere new. Maybe Mexico, or some where in South America? I'll send you a postcard." I smile at him, and he gives a slight smirk. "C'mon give me a good smile before I leave." He shakes his head, breathes out a laugh, and smiles for all of two seconds before returning to a scowl. I laugh. "Thanks." I give him a side hug. "Bye Jonas." I wanted to fully hug him, bury my face in his chest. I want him to tell me it'll be okay. Kiss my head and reassure me. But he's a married man. I release him, and start on the way to my new life.

~~~Edit- Damn, 4K reads! I was not expecting this book to be read by this many people! I really appreciate you all, Thank you!~~~