New Soldier

Word Count: 1005

Aurinko stood in a single file line with all of the other cadets, standing still, posture straight. For the past six years he has been training to become a soldier for Athenya, but he did not yet know what branch he'd be in. The Generals decided where you would fit best.

Aurinko stood up taller when the Major General stood in front of the line. They saluted him and the Major General saluted back, then he started his speech. Aurinko only heard a few words before getting bored and glanced around to see if anything interesting was going on.

He barely stifled a sigh of boredom and then his attention suddenly snapped back to the speech. “-and now to announce the graduates’ new ranks!” Now intrigued, Aurinko watched as a small group of people walked toward the Major General with boxes, presumably with badges for their new ranks.

Graduates walked up one by one to accept their new rank as they were called, most becoming regular soldiers, some guards, and the occasional spy. Finally Aurinko was called up. His heart pounding in his chest he walked up to accept his new rank. What will it be? Soldier? Guard? Will I even be accepted?

The badges in the box were all different designs, the white one with a complicated pattern that matched their flag was for guards, a gray shield with a blue silhouette of a bird was for soldiers and the gold tear shaped badge was for spies. But there was one singular badge different from the others, a blood red sun partially covered by a silver crescent moon.

Aurinko felt a surge of panic when the badge was picked up. “Congratulations, Shisol Aurinko!” He internally flinched at his new title when someone announced it, probably the Major General. the badge was immediately clipped onto his shirt, not even giving him time to further study it's appearance. The rest of the graduates were quiet as he walked back into line, what had he done to qualify for this position? To become a Shi Soldier was practically a death sentence.

Aurinko stood up straight, not wanting anyone to see the panic or confusion filling him. The last of the graduates were soon promoted, and Aurinko was still the only one to become a Shi Soldier, he'd be alone, he would have to train to fight to the death, not being allowed to surrender in a fight, ever.

                              >×<*>×<

There had been a few days between the ceremony and the day when Aurinko had to finally move to his new training camp. He had a guide to show him around, and as his fears eased a little he started to accept his position. The other Shi Soldiers he passed by were pretty nice, not at all what he expected. Soon the tour guide led him to his barracks.

The tour guide, who's name Aurinko did not catch, left as he put down his bag. Aurinko scanned the hall he was in, the walls were a styled mix of wood and stone, the wooden floor stretched forward and branched off into other rooms.

He decided to see what branched off to the right and he was greeted with two rooms, one with an open door, presumably the bedroom, and another room that both terrified him yet mentally tugged him towards it.

The room was dark, yet somehow light, small dots like stars floated through the walls. The stars were green, blue, and all shades in between, stretching on and on forever into the distance. Aurinko reached out to touch it and was met with an invisible force blocking him from going past the imaginary wall.

“Never seen solidified Void Magic before?” Aurinko whipped around, in front of him was a pink haired meif'wa with pale blue eyes and black ears and tail. “Err.. no ma'am.” He replied. “I've only ever seen people cast it to power basic machinery.” The meif'wa smiled and turned to watch the stars float through the wall. “Can you cast Void Magic?” She asked. Aurinko let himself relax and watched the stars with her. “I know how to do it, but I never had a need for it.”

“Well you have a need now, our mech suits are powered by Void Magic.” Mech suits? She turned back toward him. “You're the new recruit. Aurinko, was it?” Aurinko nodded. The meif'wa shook his hand. “My name is Roraiyan. Pleasure to meet you.” And with that, Roraiyan walked away.

Aurinko turned to look at the Void Magic once more before checking out the other room, which was indeed a bedroom. The walls were black and the blue beds were lined up against the wall. A few of the other soldiers were relaxing in here, one of them taking a nap a few beds away from the others.

“New soldier, right?” One of them asked, she had grey hair, golden eyes and appeared to be in her mid or late twenties. Aurinko nodded and watched as she pointed with a smile to a bed near the corner. “No one is using that one, so you wont have to fight for it.” She said with a chuckle. Aurinko smiled at her then proceeded to put his bags under the bed and sit down.

“My name’s Sophie, what’s yours?” The woman asked. “Aurinko.” He replied, keeping his sentences short, hoping that he wouldn't accidentally disrespect anyone. Sophie smiled again, she seemed like a cheerful person, and pointed to the other three people. “That’s Brandon,” the brown haired male with brown eyes waved. “Micah,” the guy next to Brandon also waved, he had black hair and green eyes. “And that sleepy-head over there is Shadow.” Aurinko looked over at Shadow quizzically, he also had black hair. “Bit of an odd name…” Aurinko commented, immediately worrying what their reaction would be, but instead they all laughed. “Even Shadow thinks his name is odd.” Brandon chuckled. Aurinko let his shoulders droop as he relaxed. Maybe his new life wouldn’t be so bad.

REEE
I finally finished this!
Took me a month...
But I did it! :D
Please tell me if I should write more ;-;

This was fun, hope you like it too!