ONE

"You're a useless, useless child!" Her mother screamed at Megara, as she looked to the floorboards, anger bubbling up inside of her.

"You're just going to stand there and say nothing? I didn't raise you to be a coward!" Her mother ridiculed.

"You didn't raise me at all!" Megara screamed, before gasping at the words that just came out of her mouth.

Her mother walked toward her, Megara wincing as she knew what was about to happen. A pain suddenly seared out of her right cheek, as her mother's arm dropped to her side.

"I hope you know that your father would still be alive if it weren't for you, you useless brat."

Megara took in a deep breath, holding back tears, before she made a break for it, running out of the house.

"You get back here right now you cowardly child!" Was all she heard her mother scream after her, as Megara kept running, running down the street and out of sight of her house.

-

"Stop! Get back here!" Soldiers of the Military Police shouted as Megara ran down an alleyway in panicked fear, desperately trying to hide from them.

"You idiot child! That's a dead end!" One of the soldiers chuckled as she looked around in terror, the walls seemingly closing in on her as she jumped up a set of crates and struggled to get over a wall.

She landed on the other side of the wall with a loud thud, rubbing her back as she got up, wincing in pain. God, how she hated the Military Police.

"Fuck...fuck." She mumbled, thinking about how narrowly she'd escaped those soldiers and if she could keep doing this her entire life.

She couldn't be a street urchin forever, begging for scraps and water, all while fighting anyone who denied her of such things.

Then an idea came in her head. She could always join the cadets, become a scout or something like that. She just needed something to do with her life that didn't involve running away from soldiers or begging for food.

-

The cadets all lined up, Commander Shadis walking past every one, stopping to ask questions and yell at certain ones, but passing by cadets that looked like they'd either witnessed what had gone on 2 years ago or just had a different look in their eye, compared to the fresh faced looks of the rest of the cadets.

Shadis stopped in front of Megara, glancing at her to see her staring straight at him, icily, with no emotion whatsoever. He raised an eyebrow at the girl before moving on.

"Who the hell are you?" She heard Shadis yell at the boy stood beside her.

"Jean Kirschtein, from Trost district sir!" He replied.

"Why are you here?"

"To join the Military Police Regiment and live in the interior!" Jean replied, smirking, as Megara rolled her eyes at him.

"Oh..You wanna live in the interior?" Shadis glared at him.

"Yes!" Jean mustered out as Shadis leaned forward, head butting him as Jean fell onto his ass, Megara stifling a laugh.

"Who said you could sit?! If you can't handle this, you can forget about the Military Police!" Shadis laughed before walking off to interrogate another cadet.

"Get up." Megara told him as she extended her hand out.

"I can get up myself, I'm not some stupid baby." He spat at her as she looked at him, her eye twitching slightly.

"Fine then. Just get up before he comes back and yells at you again."

"How come he didn't yell at you?" Jean asked her as she shrugged.

"Why do you care?" She snapped.

"Was just wondering why I had to get chewed out, but a girl like you just got nothing. It's not fair." He mumbled.

"What the hell do you mean 'a girl like you'?" She asked him, turning to glare at him.

"Look, all I'm saying is that in comparison to..some of the other people here, you don't exactly look the strongest." He scoffed, looking at her.

Megara was short for her age, and her face was pale with long dark hair and big wide silver eyes. She was skinny, with hardly any sort of muscles.

"You wanna know why that is horseface? Because I was malnourished as a child. What about you? I bet you were a fat pig, living it rich in Trost." She hissed at him, before her hand curled into a fist and she suddenly punched him in the face.

Shadis dismissed the cadets to dinner, as Jean stood there, cradling his face in agony.

"See you at dinner horseface." She said with a smirk before walking off.

-

Megara sat with Ymir and Christa at dinner, as she looked around the room, seeing who was sitting with who.

Jean was sitting with a boy called Marco and a girl called Naomi. Naomi had also been yelled at by Shadis, and she was sort of like a female version of Jean.

A group had gathered around Eren, asking him about the day in Shiganshina when the wall fell.

"I'm going to join the Scout Regiment and drive the Titans out of this world! I'm gonna slaughter them!" Eren shouted with determination.

"Whoa, what are you, crazy? Did you just say you're gonna join the Scout Regiment?" Jean spoke up as everyone had turned to look at what was happening.

"Yeah, that's right. Aren't you the one who wants to join the Military Police and live the easy life?" Eren asked him.

"I'm all about being honest, you see.
It's much nicer than being, say, a loser who acts tough but is actually scared shitless." Jean smirked as Eren stood up from his seat.

"Are you talking about me?!"

"S-Stop! Come on, now." Marco cried at the two.

"It makes no difference to me." Eren told him.

"Look, I'm sorry. I don't mean to dismiss your ideas. Let's be friends." Jean replied as Megara scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah. I'm sorry too." Eren mumbled as he walked out of the mess hall, Mikasa and Armin following behind him.

Megara got up from her table and made her way over to Jean's, sitting beside Naomi.

"Oh great, it's the bitch who punched me." Jean mumbled as Naomi looked at Megara, glaring at her.

"You deserved it." She replied with a smirk, as she looked at Marco and Naomi.

"I'm Megara." She introduced herself as they nodded in reply.

"You punched Jean?" Naomi asked her as Megara snorted, nodding her head.

"Yeah. He was being kinda mean to me, weren't you Jean?" She smirked as Jean looked at the table.

"You deserved it." He muttered as Naomi sighed.

"You two are idiots." Naomi told them as Marco smiled.

"At least I'm not an idiot who wants to be in the Military Police. Goodnight you three." Megara said, before getting up from her seat and leaving the hall, going to her barracks.