What's a Soulmate?

Narrative:
Soul Mate
/ˈsōl ˌmāt/
noun
noun: soulmate
a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner.
Inspired by Dawson's Creek
____________________________________

What's a soulmate?

Peter turned his head to the left looking directly at Michelle. She was sat behind a desk not too far from him, giving him a great view of her focused expression. He admired every detail of her face from how her brows furrowed, attentive to the book in front of her. How light coruscated in her eyes tinting it gold. How her lips were also fixed, most likely in anticipation and her nose was slightly scrunched. He admired it all. He loved how she was quick with her words and how her intelligence rivaled his own. Then he reflected back on all that he and Michelle have been through.

It's like a best friend, but more.

Everything changed the second semester of sophomore year. Peter was dejected Liz Allen left, because he felt that it was technically his fault. It was okay for a while, until new villains kept coming and going like Queens was a drive-thru. Because of the constant never-ending battles Peter had to miss out a lot of decathlon practice. It seemed like Michelle was just being kind on him, letting him go about, but really she was studying him. His lies had gotten worse and his bruises were getting harder to cover up. Until a month later Michelle Jones dared to confront him as he was dressed in his Spider-Man outfit at the park of their old elementary school. He knew he was caught and there was no way to lie himself out of it, so he admitted. Soon after telling Ned the next day at school, all three of them started to hang out. And by the end of the school year, they were all inseparable. It was just Ned, Peter, and MJ against the world.

It's the one person in the world who knows you better than anyone else.

The best part about the three's friendship was what they did when they hung out. They made a pact, more like Ned and Peter did while MJ commented how dorky it was. Whenever they'd hangout they'd each have a turn at choosing on where to go. This time, it was mid-November, and their junior year. They were all exhausted from the school week especially with mid-terms, since it was Michelle's turn to choose, she chose to have a quiet night in. Ned thought it'd be fun to do trivia questions about each other claiming that he'd win. Throughout the game it surprised Peter that Michelle knew so much about him. She knew what all of his favorites were. What his full name was. She also knew his dislikes. He was amazed at all she knew pondering at the thought of how much he's really conveyed to her, or if some of it was all from what she "observed".

One time at school, Peter was dying of boredom in a class he shared with MJ. He had finished his work and tapped his pen rapidly against the hardwood desk. Michelle, who he shared the large desk with, was getting irritated of his excessive tapping so she lightly punched his shoulder to grab his attention. He turned to face her with an incredulous look. She held up an earbud she had placed in her ear a minute ago. He took the gestured earbud and adjusted it to his ear. From the device he heard Alt-J's "Left Hand Free" blasting. "I love Alt-J," Peter said quietly. Michelle lifted her lips into a small smile, "I know." Her response made him stare at her in shock. "You had a record of Cage The Elephant on the bookshelf in your room. Anyone who has Cage The Elephant on vinyl are either a big fan of indie-rock or just a grandpa at heart," she explained teasingly. He didn't know whether to be insulted or amused. Not long after, school ended and the golden trio decided to head on to a diner to finish the day. Michelle ordered for them. The three gouged their meal like it was their last and when it was time for desert Ned and Peter were having a hard time choosing. So Michelle chose for them. Ned had lemon meringue since his taste for sweet yet sour was not unknown. And Peter had a plate of cherry pie placed in front of him. Peter never told anyone that he loved cherry not even Ned. His uncle Ben always made the best cherry pie and Aunt May would recently try to perfect it. He wondered how Michelle knew it was his favorite, but didn't vocally question it, wanting to enjoy his meal.