2am wishing i loved someone

"There's two things I know for certain about you," he told her after their conversation reached a lull, his head resting in her lap, both of them lying down after a day which hadn't been easy for either of them.

"Yeah? And what would those things be?" She teased softly, grinning at the confidence in his tone, knowing he is anything but.

"Number one, you have an amazing personality and are the sunshine to my rain clouds and number two, you're beautiful, simple as that," he responded, the words gliding out of his mouth in a way that makes it seem like a effortless confession, something he has been holding back on for such a long time it has had to force its was to the tip of his tongue.

"You rate my personality over my looks?"

"Yeah, because you could look like anything, you could be everything the world sees as ugly, you could be a figure that disgusts all 7 million people on this planet, but I would still love you, because it doesn't matter what you look like, your personality and your brain and your simple acts of kindness are worth so much more than anything material."

"Jesus," the word coming out of her mouth the second he paused in the monologue to take a breath.

"You are everything that I am not and so much more, you don't judge my weird habits, you smile at everyone you meet, you go out of your way to make sure everyone is ok and you are so perceptive of your surroundings and you always know what to say. And most importantly of all, when you try and fail to open a jar and I giggle and call you weak, you just giggle as well, for we both know deep down that although you may not match me I'm physical strength, your mental strength is 1000 times better than mine. You help me so much in everything and us together makes a wonderful pair as we keep everything in perfect balance."

"I - I don't really know what to say to that."

"You don't have to," he said, "as long as you know that I love you."

"Yeah I erm, I noticed that," she replied as she bent down to place a kiss on his forehead.

He just smiled gently as she kissed him and whispered next to his ear, "I love you too."

She sat back up and they caught each other's eyes, a knowing look flashing between them, as they knew that even after a long day and verging on sleep, they both loved each other, and that was all they needed.