O N E

"Rena, open your eyes sweetie. We are almost to the new house." A voice awoke Rena from her comfortable slumber. She opened her eyes to see her mother looking straight ahead while she drove.

Rena sat up in her seat and stretched her arms above her head as she released a small squeaking sound. She took some time to look out the car window beside her and take in her surroundings. Rustic looking houses seemed to fly by from the speed of the car.

The car suddenly started to slow down as her mother flipped the right turning signal on. The car pulled into a narrow drive way that had trees lining it on both sides.

Rena looked before her at the house her family would soon be residing in, well as of today it would be her new home.

She scrunched up her small nose at the sight of the ugly, tan house.

She missed her real home back in Ohio. Where all her friends were. Where her life was. Yet she knew Ohio would only be just a memory. The real truth was that four months ago her father, who she was really close to, died in a five car pile up. Her mother wanted a change and to forget the tragic that was left behind in Ohio. So Rena's mother decided to move to her home town where she met Rena's father and fell in love. Rena can't quite understand her mother herself but she had no choice in the matter. What her mother says, goes.

Her mother then put the car into park and they all stepped out. Rena's older brother, David looked around and let out a long, loud yawn.

"Looks good enough to me." He said with a sigh.

Rena looked over at him and then to the house in front of her. She shrugged and started to walk up the steps of the front porch which led to the front door.

Her mother came up behind her an placed a key in the key slot and unlocked it. She swung the door open and smiled.

"The moving truck should be here in an hour or two." Her mother said as the three of them walked into the living room.

"Okay well I call dibs on the biggest room!" David called as he ran up the steps. Rena frowned and chased after him.

"That's not fare!" She cried as she raced him to the first room on the right. She fought him inside and smiled in victory when she pushed him to the side with her hip and slammed into the room. She looked around and noticed that there was a big window on the far wall with a window seat under it(which she has always dreamed of having since she was ten), a queen sized bed was facing it. It had a walk in closet and a small dresser. The walls were paint in a light peach color.

"Fine you can have the room. It's a little too girly for my taste anyways. I prefer blue walls." David mumbled.

"Are you sure? I thought peach was your favorite color?" She asked with a smirk. David rolled his eyes mimicking her and then playfully stomped out of the room.

Rena laughed to herself and then took a good look around the room once more.

"I guess it will have to do, yet it still doesn't feel like home though. I don't think it ever will." She said to herself.

"Don't worry it will soon enough" a voice said making her almost jump out of her skin. She turned around and saw her mother leaning against her bedroom doorway.

"Jeez mom you scared me." Rena mumbled as she held her hand over her racing heart. Her mother let out her signature loud laugh causing her whole body the shake. She sobered up and smiled at Rena.

"It was quite a long ride down from Ohio. I heard that the local park is close by. Why don't you take a walk there and check it out? You know get some much needed fresh air." Her mother said with a smile.